They are calling it the European Day of Action and Solidarity against Austerity. Today is said to be the first time strike action has been held simultaneously across four countries: general strikes in Spain and Portugal and ad hoc stoppages Greece and Italy.
As well as strikes in southern Europe, demonstrations to show solidarity are planned for many other countries including France and Germany.
In Madrid, union leader Candido Méndez told the crowd that their situation has its roots in European politics. “The policy has been imposed on us by the Commission,” he said, “who are following orders from Berlin and the head of the Spanish government not only accepts this but takes it even further.
Local transport, airports and schools are affected.
In total, 40 trade union organisations from 23 countries are involved in the day’s events.
In Portugal, this is the second general strike this year. “We have begun this fight not only for the rights of workers,” says a union representative, “but also to defend the rights of generations to come, for the rights of our children, we are also fighting for the future of our country.”
Municipal workers have also come out on strike in Portugal. The country is said to be going through its worst slump since the 1970s.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1European Commission presidency candidates to go head-to-head in first debate
- 2Russian state TV says at least two die in gunbattle in eastern Ukraine
- 3Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 4TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 5South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3European Commission presidency candidates to go head-to-head in first debate
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5South Korea recovers more dead from ferry
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
Wires > News
- 08:48 CET Nepal Sherpas demand compensation for families of avalanche victims
- 08:09 CET Cyclone threatens to disrupt search for missing Malaysian plane
- 08:07 CET Clock ticking for Thai PM as court verdict nears
- 07:08 CET Japan PM makes offering to Yasukuni Shrine; China seizes ship
- 04:42 CET Malaysia Airlines plane turns back after tyre burst on takeoff
- 04:42 CET China seizure of ship could hurt Japan business – Japan spokesman
- 23:27 CET Ex-army chief, leftist to run for Egyptian presidency
- 22:55 CET Italy economy minister says 2014 growth could be above 0.8 percent…