They are calling it the European Day of Action and Solidarity against Austerity. Today is said to be the first time strike action has been held simultaneously across four countries: general strikes in Spain and Portugal and ad hoc stoppages Greece and Italy.
As well as strikes in southern Europe, demonstrations to show solidarity are planned for many other countries including France and Germany.
In Madrid, union leader Candido Méndez told the crowd that their situation has its roots in European politics. “The policy has been imposed on us by the Commission,” he said, “who are following orders from Berlin and the head of the Spanish government not only accepts this but takes it even further.
Local transport, airports and schools are affected.
In total, 40 trade union organisations from 23 countries are involved in the day’s events.
In Portugal, this is the second general strike this year. “We have begun this fight not only for the rights of workers,” says a union representative, “but also to defend the rights of generations to come, for the rights of our children, we are also fighting for the future of our country.”
Municipal workers have also come out on strike in Portugal. The country is said to be going through its worst slump since the 1970s.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 12Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 17Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:54 CET Obama says Sony hack not an act of war
- 18:25 CET Tunisian candidate Essebsi’s campaign claims election victory
- 18:03 CET Libya’s official government targets rival forces trying to seize…
- 17:47 CET Analysis – Economic issues whip up Israelis in chocolate pudding…
- 17:42 CET Two N.Y. police officers slain in apparent retribution attack
- 16:40 CET U.S.-led forces launch 13 air strikes in Iraq, three in Syria
- 16:18 CET Greek PM offers 2015 election once bailout talks complete
- 16:17 CET Four militants hanged in Pakistan as execution campaign widens