They are calling it the European Day of Action and Solidarity against Austerity. Today is said to be the first time strike action has been held simultaneously across four countries: general strikes in Spain and Portugal and ad hoc stoppages Greece and Italy.
As well as strikes in southern Europe, demonstrations to show solidarity are planned for many other countries including France and Germany.
In Madrid, union leader Candido Méndez told the crowd that their situation has its roots in European politics. “The policy has been imposed on us by the Commission,” he said, “who are following orders from Berlin and the head of the Spanish government not only accepts this but takes it even further.
Local transport, airports and schools are affected.
In total, 40 trade union organisations from 23 countries are involved in the day’s events.
In Portugal, this is the second general strike this year. “We have begun this fight not only for the rights of workers,” says a union representative, “but also to defend the rights of generations to come, for the rights of our children, we are also fighting for the future of our country.”
Municipal workers have also come out on strike in Portugal. The country is said to be going through its worst slump since the 1970s.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 2International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 5Mystery in the heart of Paris as cocaine stash goes missing from police HQ
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 3Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 4Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 5EU targets top Russian officials in new sanctions
Wires > News
- 09:40 CET Nepal landslide kills 8, blocking river and raising flood fears
- 07:33 CET Factory blast in east China kills at least 65 – state TV
- 05:12 CET Bible left in North Korean sailor’s club triggered U.S. tourist’s…
- 04:50 CET Australia sends 157 asylum seekers to Nauru detention centre
- 01:02 CET NATO must change to better repel Russian threat – Cameron
- 22:40 CET African leaders agree steps to fight runaway Ebola outbreak
- 22:36 CET Obama says that after 9/11, ‘we tortured some folks’
- 21:35 CET North Korea accuses U.N. Security Council of double standards