They are calling it the European Day of Action and Solidarity against Austerity. Today is said to be the first time strike action has been held simultaneously across four countries: general strikes in Spain and Portugal and ad hoc stoppages Greece and Italy.
As well as strikes in southern Europe, demonstrations to show solidarity are planned for many other countries including France and Germany.
In Madrid, union leader Candido Méndez told the crowd that their situation has its roots in European politics. “The policy has been imposed on us by the Commission,” he said, “who are following orders from Berlin and the head of the Spanish government not only accepts this but takes it even further.
Local transport, airports and schools are affected.
In total, 40 trade union organisations from 23 countries are involved in the day’s events.
In Portugal, this is the second general strike this year. “We have begun this fight not only for the rights of workers,” says a union representative, “but also to defend the rights of generations to come, for the rights of our children, we are also fighting for the future of our country.”
Municipal workers have also come out on strike in Portugal. The country is said to be going through its worst slump since the 1970s.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 2Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 3Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 4‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 5Turkish CCTV images show British girls on their way to join ISIL
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:47 CET U.N. Rights Council’s Israel focus risks undermining the body -…
- 12:46 CET EU Commission: seeking unity in EU after Spain, Portugal clash…
- 12:36 CET Saudi consul released after three years as hostage in Yemen
- 12:26 CET Tunisia tax suspension, teacher strike test reform agenda
- 12:22 CET Tajik leader’s party ahead in election, Western monitors cry foul
- 12:19 CET Ukraine says Russia continues to violate winter gas agreement
- 12:06 CET U.N. nuclear watchdog says Iran still withholding key information
- 11:56 CET Youth-led disaster alerts protect Sri Lankan tsunami village