In central Athens, they carried the flags of their Mediterannean neighbours; those who’ve witnessed the Greek economy break down; countries now enduring their own deep austerity.
After last week’s two day national strike, Greek workers staged a short stoppage and demonstration.
Both of the main private and public sector unions marched on the city’s main square. Union leaders called for an urgent U-turn from Brussels.
“We are demanding a change of policy in all of Europe that will invest in the real economy, that will support growth and viable employment,” said Kostas Tsikrikas, President of the Civil Servants Trade Union.
Another union leader warned that European leaders couldn’t ignore the impact of austerity measures.
“Only when all of Europe and all of its workers wake up, will they be forced confront the problem, and see why people are on the streets. They don’t seem to be at all concerned why people are out on the streets,” said Stavros Doumas, President of the Finance Minister Employees’ Union.
In the last week, MPs have passed a fourth round of austerity measures. Now living through their fifth year of recession, Greek workers continue to see their pay and pensions slashed as the cost of living skyrockets.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1ISIL downs coalition warplane and captures pilot
- 2Ukraine to seek NATO membership and step up military presence in war-torn east
- 3Peshmerga fighters move on Sinjar town in Iraq as fierce battle with ISIL rages
- 4Russia successfully launches the massive Angara 5 rocket into orbit
- 5Eurasian Economic Union Summit begins with a show of disunity
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 5Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 9Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 10Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 11The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 12Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 13Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 14European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 15Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 16Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 17Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 06:32 CET Thai leader cites China as positive example in year-end message
- 03:29 CET Former U.S. President Bush, 90, remains in Houston hospital -…
- 01:28 CET Sony puts ‘The Interview’ on YouTube, other digital platforms
- 23:39 CET Pope, on Christmas Eve, urges world to be open to God
- 23:15 CET Police officer kills armed black man near Ferguson, Missouri
- 22:55 CET At least 21 injured in protest against Nicaragua canal – police
- 22:26 CET Islamic State captures Jordanian pilot after warplane crashes in…
- 22:15 CET Baghdad’s Christians gather defiantly for Christmas Eve mass