In central Athens, they carried the flags of their Mediterannean neighbours; those who’ve witnessed the Greek economy break down; countries now enduring their own deep austerity.
After last week’s two day national strike, Greek workers staged a short stoppage and demonstration.
Both of the main private and public sector unions marched on the city’s main square. Union leaders called for an urgent U-turn from Brussels.
“We are demanding a change of policy in all of Europe that will invest in the real economy, that will support growth and viable employment,” said Kostas Tsikrikas, President of the Civil Servants Trade Union.
Another union leader warned that European leaders couldn’t ignore the impact of austerity measures.
“Only when all of Europe and all of its workers wake up, will they be forced confront the problem, and see why people are on the streets. They don’t seem to be at all concerned why people are out on the streets,” said Stavros Doumas, President of the Finance Minister Employees’ Union.
In the last week, MPs have passed a fourth round of austerity measures. Now living through their fifth year of recession, Greek workers continue to see their pay and pensions slashed as the cost of living skyrockets.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 4Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 5Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Ukraine: violent clashes as parliament votes to grant more autonomy to the east
French PM Valls urges EU solidarity amid unprecedented migrant crisis
Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
Migrant Crisis Live: Calais news conference by French ministers and senior EU officials
Arrest warrants issued for two new Bangkok bombing suspects
Wires > News
- 16:02 CET Greece’s ‘invisible negotiator’ may assuage bailout fears in…
- 15:49 CET Taliban say keeping leader’s death secret was a military decision
- 15:37 CET Four missing, four injured in explosion at Spain fireworks factory
- 15:12 CET Two U.S. F-22 fighter jets arrive in Poland as part of European…
- 15:05 CET Afghan police investigate gas poisoning at girls’ school
- 14:52 CET Thousands sign petition to stop rape of low-caste Indian sisters
- 14:48 CET Pakistani official says Haqqani militants weakened, despite …
- 14:41 CET Police hurt in protests as Ukraine MPs votes on special status for…