A day after being crowned the most unpopular French president after six months in office, Francois Hollande has been left in no doubt as to what many think of France’s austerity package.
Thousands of demonstrators marched through Paris and several other cities in what union leaders called a massive show of solidarity.
“We are totally united because today it’s obvious that the economy is not limited to our country or our region. Europe is so small already, and one can see that market fluctuations are global. So we need to have European unity at the very least,” said one demonstrator.
Because the crisis is having the same devastating effects across the bloc, many believe the solution must come through joint, consolidated action.
Francois François Chérèque, Secretary General of the CFDT union said: “this protest is a message to European leaders. They’re all concerned, whether they be French, German or Italian. They all take decisions, on a European level, which put us in an impossible situation. And it’s even worse for Greece, Spain and Portugal than it is for France.”
There are 130 demonstrations against austerity in all France, organized by five trade unions. It is the first initiative of this kind in this country since a left-wing Government took office.
Although the protests in France have been dwarfed by larger and louder ones in Spain, our correspondent in Paris says people here have more than matched their neighbours’ strength of feeling against austerity measures and insecurity for workers.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 20:05 CET Guantanamo hearing halted after defence accusations of FBI spying
- 20:03 CET U.S. releases $450 million of frozen Iranian funds after …
- 19:55 CET Kosovo PM urges vote on new war crimes court but calls it insult
- 19:51 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 19:41 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 19:05 CET Church must be open to sick, homeless, pope says on Holy Thursday
- 19:00 CET Burundi orders U.N. security adviser out after violence warning
- 17:29 CET Iraqi Kurds entrench political faultline with Syria border ditch