A day after being crowned the most unpopular French president after six months in office, Francois Hollande has been left in no doubt as to what many think of France’s austerity package.
Thousands of demonstrators marched through Paris and several other cities in what union leaders called a massive show of solidarity.
“We are totally united because today it’s obvious that the economy is not limited to our country or our region. Europe is so small already, and one can see that market fluctuations are global. So we need to have European unity at the very least,” said one demonstrator.
Because the crisis is having the same devastating effects across the bloc, many believe the solution must come through joint, consolidated action.
Francois François Chérèque, Secretary General of the CFDT union said: “this protest is a message to European leaders. They’re all concerned, whether they be French, German or Italian. They all take decisions, on a European level, which put us in an impossible situation. And it’s even worse for Greece, Spain and Portugal than it is for France.”
There are 130 demonstrations against austerity in all France, organized by five trade unions. It is the first initiative of this kind in this country since a left-wing Government took office.
Although the protests in France have been dwarfed by larger and louder ones in Spain, our correspondent in Paris says people here have more than matched their neighbours’ strength of feeling against austerity measures and insecurity for workers.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2German interior minister criticises lack of appreciation from some refugees
- 3ISIL operations centre in Idlib, Syria ‘destroyed’ by Russian airstrike
- 4Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 5Russian action ‘resets chessboard in Syria,’ says analyst
- 1NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 2Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 3Poland: thousands turn out for anti-immigration protests
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Latest world news
Thousands attend funeral ceremony in Tehran for Hajj crush victims
Flash floods in France leave a trail of death and destruction
#inondations: French president visits flood-hit region
Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
Palestinians barred from visiting Jerusalem’s Old City amid tension
Wires > News
- 18:39 CET About 300 people still missing after Guatemala landslide
- 18:21 CET Pro-Moscow Social Democrats lead in Kyrgyz parliamentary election
- 18:14 CET Death toll in French Riviera floods rises to at least 16, natural…
- 18:11 CET Middle East would be more stable if Saddam, Gaddafi still in power…
- 17:56 CET Greek coast guard recovers body of migrant baby on Kos
- 16:41 CET Argentine ruling party extends presidential vote lead – poll
- 16:14 CET Russian cannot fight Islamic State and support Assad in Syria -…
- 15:44 CET EU and Turkey have struck plan to stem flow of migrants – newspaper