A day after being crowned the most unpopular French president after six months in office, Francois Hollande has been left in no doubt as to what many think of France’s austerity package.
Thousands of demonstrators marched through Paris and several other cities in what union leaders called a massive show of solidarity.
“We are totally united because today it’s obvious that the economy is not limited to our country or our region. Europe is so small already, and one can see that market fluctuations are global. So we need to have European unity at the very least,” said one demonstrator.
Because the crisis is having the same devastating effects across the bloc, many believe the solution must come through joint, consolidated action.
Francois François Chérèque, Secretary General of the CFDT union said: “this protest is a message to European leaders. They’re all concerned, whether they be French, German or Italian. They all take decisions, on a European level, which put us in an impossible situation. And it’s even worse for Greece, Spain and Portugal than it is for France.”
There are 130 demonstrations against austerity in all France, organized by five trade unions. It is the first initiative of this kind in this country since a left-wing Government took office.
Although the protests in France have been dwarfed by larger and louder ones in Spain, our correspondent in Paris says people here have more than matched their neighbours’ strength of feeling against austerity measures and insecurity for workers.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 2Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 5Five years jail for Oscar Pistorius – but how many will he serve?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 02:02 CET Canada police talked to militant suspect, couldn’t stop attack
- 02:01 CET North Korea unexpectedly frees American Jeffrey Fowle
- 00:57 CET Chilean president’s landmark education reform passes first hurdle
- 00:07 CET Insight – In Afghan north, Taliban gains ground and courts local…
- 23:17 CET Rival Libyan PM meets Turkish envoy in first known meeting with…
- 20:49 CET Egypt sentences to death seven suspected members of Ansar Bayt…
- 19:00 CET Poland’s speaker backs down from claim Putin proposed dividing…
- 18:54 CET War heroes and activists to shape new-look Ukraine parliament