Women still find the road to success blocked in the business world. And attitudes differ widely across Europe. In Malta, just 3% of board members are women, 18% in the UK, while in Finland, it’s 27%.
A new proposal aims for a 40% female presence on the non-executive boards of all EU publicly-listed companies.
Viviane Reding, EU Commissioner for Justice and Fundamental Rights:
“It is a selection on the basis of competence. It is not a woman because she is a woman but a woman because she is good, a good professional that knows how to do her job.”
The proposed measures would only affect stock exchange-listed EU companies. Small and medium-sized enterprises and non-listed companies would remain untouched under the terms. Up to 5,000 companies across the EU could be affected. Many are convinced it would be a good start.
Edite Estrela, Portuguese socialist MEP:
“The proposal could be more ambitious, it could go further. But it’s a first step towards balancing the gender representation in the boardrooms of stock exchange-listed companies. And I agree that small and medium-sized enterprises should be exempt, because it’s not easy for this sector to accommodate that sort of gender representation.”
Some countries like France are pushing for a bigger female presence.
But others, including the UK and Germany are against forced quotas for women on corporate boards.
That glass ceiling may be chipped, but it’s far from broken.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand