13/11/12 00:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
On the same day EU officials described Ukraine’s elections as “marred by irregularities” and having a “lack of transparency”, United Opposition says it will now focus on impeaching the country’s president Viktor Yanukovich.
Criticism of the October 28 poll comes from a statement issued by EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton and Enlargement Commissioner Stefan Fuele.
United Opposition, which is made up of separate political parties, has warily accepted disputed results that will probably see Yanukovich’s party maintain a majority.
The group says it will go to parliament and demand the impeachment of the president, the resignation of the government and release of the political prisoners.
“We clearly stated that we will keep all options open in our fight – parliamentary and non-parliamentary – and we do not exclude the possibility of dissolving Ukraine’s parliament,” said Arseniy Yatsenyuk, a leader of the United Opposition.
In addition to working towards freeing her, United Opposition is urging jailed former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko to end her 15-day hunger strike mounted in protest of October’s election.
- 1Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
- 4Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
- 5Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Latest world news
Syria: Russia ‘seeks truce for Aleppo’ after wave of deadly bombings
Collapsed Kenya building ‘had no occupancy permit’
Turkey: Police officers killed by deadly car bomb near Syria border
Venezuela: More pay and less sleep as economic crisis hits hard
Barack Obama: ‘Comedian-in-Chief’
Wires > News
- 15:07 CET Death toll from building collapse in Kenya rises to 16
- 14:41 CET Anti-immigrant AfD says Muslims not welcome in Germany
- 14:35 CET Islamic State suicide attacks kill 32 in southern Iraq
- 14:02 CET Sturgeon says Scottish independence vote likely if she wins…
- 13:48 CET Russia – talks taking place on including Aleppo in Syria’s ‘regime…
- 12:43 CET Brussels airport departure hall reopens after deadly bombings
- 12:23 CET U.S.-led coalition drone kills two at Islamic State depot in…
- 12:05 CET Irish fin min likely to retain post in new government – source