On the same day EU officials described Ukraine’s elections as “marred by irregularities” and having a “lack of transparency”, United Opposition says it will now focus on impeaching the country’s president Viktor Yanukovich.
Criticism of the October 28 poll comes from a statement issued by EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton and Enlargement Commissioner Stefan Fuele.
United Opposition, which is made up of separate political parties, has warily accepted disputed results that will probably see Yanukovich’s party maintain a majority.
The group says it will go to parliament and demand the impeachment of the president, the resignation of the government and release of the political prisoners.
“We clearly stated that we will keep all options open in our fight – parliamentary and non-parliamentary – and we do not exclude the possibility of dissolving Ukraine’s parliament,” said Arseniy Yatsenyuk, a leader of the United Opposition.
In addition to working towards freeing her, United Opposition is urging jailed former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko to end her 15-day hunger strike mounted in protest of October’s election.
- 1Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 3Armenia remembers the victims of 1915 massacre
- 4No more aid till ‘big, big problems’ solved, Eurogroup tells Greece
- 5Friendship and reconciliation replace conflict at Gallipoli centenary
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
Wires > News
- 12:20 CET Chinese woman activist says interrogated a week after release
- 12:08 CET Iran moves ships, reducing tensions near Yemen – Pentagon’s Carter
- 12:04 CET Togo votes in delayed presidential election
- 12:02 CET One Ukrainian serviceman killed, two wounded near Mariupol
- 11:56 CET Powerful Nepal quake kills at least 108, toll expected to rise
- 10:45 CET Insurgents seize large parts of Syria’s Jisr al-Shughour – monitor
- 09:41 CET Thousands gather at dawn ceremony to mark Gallipoli centenary
- 05:36 CET United States seeks access to Philippine bases as part of Asia…