On the same day EU officials described Ukraine’s elections as “marred by irregularities” and having a “lack of transparency”, United Opposition says it will now focus on impeaching the country’s president Viktor Yanukovich.
Criticism of the October 28 poll comes from a statement issued by EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton and Enlargement Commissioner Stefan Fuele.
United Opposition, which is made up of separate political parties, has warily accepted disputed results that will probably see Yanukovich’s party maintain a majority.
The group says it will go to parliament and demand the impeachment of the president, the resignation of the government and release of the political prisoners.
“We clearly stated that we will keep all options open in our fight – parliamentary and non-parliamentary – and we do not exclude the possibility of dissolving Ukraine’s parliament,” said Arseniy Yatsenyuk, a leader of the United Opposition.
In addition to working towards freeing her, United Opposition is urging jailed former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko to end her 15-day hunger strike mounted in protest of October’s election.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 4‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 5Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 4Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 5Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Battles rage for Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:24 CET Soldier shot; gunman enters Canadian parliament, many shots fired
- 17:19 CET Arrest made after infant bodies discovered in Canadian locker
- 17:11 CET French riot police clash with migrants seeking UK entry
- 17:07 CET U.S. Ebola ‘czar’ starts work, drugmakers launch vaccine drive
- 16:41 CET Iran president denounces bill to empower Islamic vigilantes
- 16:24 CET Al-Qaeda kills 30 Shi’ite rebels in central Yemen – tribal sources
- 16:05 CET Suspected Kurdish rebels kidnap workers in southeastern Turkey
- 15:49 CET Iran’s Khamenei says oil reliance putting country at mercy of big…