13/11/12 17:09 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An exhibition called “Urban Masters” is underway in east London featuring the works of the world’s best street artists of the moment.
British street artist Zeus showed a piece called “Love, Crash, Burn”.
“It’s about relationships,” he told euronews, “whether it is people or objects. The whole idea of smashing head-on into something. I like the idea of playing with scale. Whenever you play with scale, it brings you back to childhood. If you make things bigger, you reduce yourself and become a child again.”
The show is an international collaboration including works from the United States, France, and Colombia among others, reflecting a wide variety of styles and techniques.
The exhibition’s curator, Butterfly, told us: “Urban Masters is a show asking street artists to pay tribute to the masters who inspired them and re-visit some classics. For example some artists have been inspired by Klimt, by Picasso, but also adding their own twist to the pieces and using their own techniques and tools.”
Among the French contingent was Kan, who is fascinated by the late American pop-artist Andy Warhol.
“I wanted to pay tribute to Warhol so this is a portrait of Banksy seen through Warhol’s eyes but with my technique of pointillisme,” Kan said, “I use the dots of a marker to represent Banksy.”
Brusk and Aimée from Lyon showed off their work that paid tribute to Picasso and Miro. “Everything you see here is recycling,” Brusk said. “These are purely things that we’ve collected from the street and arranged and we’ve created a work of art with rubbish. That’s really it.”
The Urban Masters exhibition is co-curated by Opera Gallery London and staged in a former Victorian factory at Shoreditch in East London.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
latest le mag news
Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
Maverick fashion designer John Varvatos: ‘Is rock dead?‘
Rachel Platten takes ‘Wildfire’ on tour
Jonathan Yeo adopts actress Cara Delevingne for new exhibition
Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video