An exhibition called “Urban Masters” is underway in east London featuring the works of the world’s best street artists of the moment.
British street artist Zeus showed a piece called “Love, Crash, Burn”.
“It’s about relationships,” he told euronews, “whether it is people or objects. The whole idea of smashing head-on into something. I like the idea of playing with scale. Whenever you play with scale, it brings you back to childhood. If you make things bigger, you reduce yourself and become a child again.”
The show is an international collaboration including works from the United States, France, and Colombia among others, reflecting a wide variety of styles and techniques.
The exhibition’s curator, Butterfly, told us: “Urban Masters is a show asking street artists to pay tribute to the masters who inspired them and re-visit some classics. For example some artists have been inspired by Klimt, by Picasso, but also adding their own twist to the pieces and using their own techniques and tools.”
Among the French contingent was Kan, who is fascinated by the late American pop-artist Andy Warhol.
“I wanted to pay tribute to Warhol so this is a portrait of Banksy seen through Warhol’s eyes but with my technique of pointillisme,” Kan said, “I use the dots of a marker to represent Banksy.”
Brusk and Aimée from Lyon showed off their work that paid tribute to Picasso and Miro. “Everything you see here is recycling,” Brusk said. “These are purely things that we’ve collected from the street and arranged and we’ve created a work of art with rubbish. That’s really it.”
The Urban Masters exhibition is co-curated by Opera Gallery London and staged in a former Victorian factory at Shoreditch in East London.
- 1Estonian duo among favourites for Eurovision 2015
- 2Favourites and hidden gems at Baku’s Contemporary Music Festival
- 3Turkish history overshadows Istanbul Film Festival
- 4New Star Wars trailer is desert water for thirsty fans
- 5A replica of France’s Grotte Chauvet and its prehistoric art opens to the public
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news