An exhibition called “Urban Masters” is underway in east London featuring the works of the world’s best street artists of the moment.
British street artist Zeus showed a piece called “Love, Crash, Burn”.
“It’s about relationships,” he told euronews, “whether it is people or objects. The whole idea of smashing head-on into something. I like the idea of playing with scale. Whenever you play with scale, it brings you back to childhood. If you make things bigger, you reduce yourself and become a child again.”
The show is an international collaboration including works from the United States, France, and Colombia among others, reflecting a wide variety of styles and techniques.
The exhibition’s curator, Butterfly, told us: “Urban Masters is a show asking street artists to pay tribute to the masters who inspired them and re-visit some classics. For example some artists have been inspired by Klimt, by Picasso, but also adding their own twist to the pieces and using their own techniques and tools.”
Among the French contingent was Kan, who is fascinated by the late American pop-artist Andy Warhol.
“I wanted to pay tribute to Warhol so this is a portrait of Banksy seen through Warhol’s eyes but with my technique of pointillisme,” Kan said, “I use the dots of a marker to represent Banksy.”
Brusk and Aimée from Lyon showed off their work that paid tribute to Picasso and Miro. “Everything you see here is recycling,” Brusk said. “These are purely things that we’ve collected from the street and arranged and we’ve created a work of art with rubbish. That’s really it.”
The Urban Masters exhibition is co-curated by Opera Gallery London and staged in a former Victorian factory at Shoreditch in East London.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 12New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 18World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video