Tens of thousands of people are expected to take part in a general strike in Spain on Wednesday.
Two of the country’s largest labour unions have called for the stoppage, the second such protest against the conservative government since they took power last December. It is also timed to coincide with industrial action in Portugal.
The move comes as Spain’s conservative government wrestles with how to fight a rise in home-owner evictions, blamed for two suicides in just 15 days.
The government insists its draft budget with a package of tax rises and spending cuts will guarantee the country meets its deficit reduction targets.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy’s new measures are expected to be adopted by parliament within weeks, but with current austerity measures sparking such anger, it is unlikely the new budget will do anything to calm tensions.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:11 CET Exclusive – Iran offers ‘compromises’ in nuclear talks, West…
- 05:49 CET China likely to close ‘gift’ loophole in corruption fight
- 04:58 CET China to pitch high-speed trains to California
- 04:20 CET Canada police kill ‘radicalised’ driver after he rams two soldiers
- 04:12 CET Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow business jet accident
- 03:23 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 02:31 CET Panama arrests supreme court judge on suspicion of corruption
- 02:03 CET Unfinished war in Sri Lanka threatens paradise regained