How much is the debt crisis in Greece highlighting a crisis within a crisis? International lenders clashed over how Athens can bring its debts down to a sustainable level leading fears their public spat could lead to the financial troubles flaring up again.
Commentators are asking what will happen if another country was to seek a bail out in the future.
The difference of opinion between Christine Lagarde of the IMF and Jean-Claude Juncker who chairs the Eurogroup of finance ministers over the Greek debt crisis has been described as a, “sharp exchange”.
Analysts believe if the IMF were to walk away from the bailout the eurozone would have to contribute extra funds and its reputation in the financial markets would be severely damaged. Equally, if the IMF were to back down its authority would be damaged.
It is a scenario that for the moment is conjecture but the row has brought it into focus.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 06:54 CET China is growing at ‘reasonable’ pace despite pressures – Premier…
- 05:49 CET Despite raids, Macau pawn shops still help flout currency rules
- 01:11 CET Half of UK manufacturers worried by China, some review plans – EEF
- 21:49 CET Fed’s Fischer sees inflation rebound, allowing gradual rate hikes
- 20:51 CET ECB’S Constancio says policies firming inflation against oil…
- 20:17 CET Bank of England stance on rates unchanged by China – Carney
- 20:14 CET FCA investigating annuity sales – Telegraph
- 17:25 CET Buffett’s Berkshire takes $4.48 billion stake in Phillips 66