How much is the debt crisis in Greece highlighting a crisis within a crisis? International lenders clashed over how Athens can bring its debts down to a sustainable level leading fears their public spat could lead to the financial troubles flaring up again.
Commentators are asking what will happen if another country was to seek a bail out in the future.
The difference of opinion between Christine Lagarde of the IMF and Jean-Claude Juncker who chairs the Eurogroup of finance ministers over the Greek debt crisis has been described as a, “sharp exchange”.
Analysts believe if the IMF were to walk away from the bailout the eurozone would have to contribute extra funds and its reputation in the financial markets would be severely damaged. Equally, if the IMF were to back down its authority would be damaged.
It is a scenario that for the moment is conjecture but the row has brought it into focus.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1The effects of the Bretton Woods Agreement 70 years on
- 2Major economic hit expected for Israel from Gaza conflict
- 3Chinese food scandal probe causes fast food chains to remove products
- 4Apple ‘honestly surprised’ by big China iPhone sales boost
- 5Alstom investigation ‘nearing criminal charges’ in UK over alleged corruption
- 1More sanctions against Russia, massive job cuts at Microsoft and ‘cheap’ warplane
- 2Farnborough: Textron Scorpion budget military jet aimed at cash-strapped governments
- 3Can Malaysia Airlines survive this latest tragedy?
- 4Microsoft to cut 18,000 jobs to remove Nokia duplication
- 5The effects of the Bretton Woods Agreement 70 years on
Wires > Business
- 19:41 CET Ex-BES chief Salgado named as suspect in money-laundering probe
- 19:26 CET Exclusive-Allegations of GSK corruption spread to Syria
- 19:23 CET Exclusive-Allegations of GSK corruption spread to Syria
- 19:13 CET Morgan Stanley to pay $275 million penalty for misleading …
- 19:09 CET Barclays files to dismiss New York lawsuit against ‘dark pool’
- 18:43 CET IMF cuts global growth outlook, warns of stagnation risk in rich…
- 18:35 CET BSkyB to unveil ‘Sky Europe’ deal on Friday
- 18:14 CET Fiat and Peugeot dismiss latest tie-up report