The FBI moved in to search Paula Broadwell’s house in North Carolina overnight as the investigation into the former mistress and biographer of the disgraced CIA head David Petraeus deepened.
The CIA also denied Broadwell’s claims in a recent public appearance that the agency had been illegally holding Libyan prisoners in secret in the Benghazi consular complex, and that was why it was attacked in September. She also claimed Petraeus knew all about it.
This was less than two months before President Obama faced the electoral fight of his life. Sensing they were denied a campaign opportunity, several Republicans are now wondering why an investigation that began in the summer is only coming out now, after the presidential election.
But Petraeus is not the only top soldier who liked to pen spicy e-mails to Broadwell. Petraeus’s successor in Afghanistan General John Allen is now implicated, and he also reportedly sent tens of thousands to the other woman and trigger in the affair, Jill Kelley, a State Department official.
It was Kelley’s demand the FBI protect her from Broadwell’s jealousy, expressed via internet hate mail, that led to the initial investigation at the start of the summer. The affair with Petraeus, and “inappropriate language” in exchanges with Allen was discovered after the FBI went through Broadwell’s e-mails. The investigation concluded by the late summer, by which time Broadwell and Petraeus had ended their affair.
The FBI then told Attorney General Eric Holder, but it seems the White House was kept out of the loop. President Obama says he was only told last Thursday, the day before Petraeus resigned and the story went public.
The FBI concluded Broadwell had had access to classified material, including data on the Benghazi attack, but that she was no security risk. Maybe not some are saying, but what about an electoral risk?
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
MH370 suspected flaperon arrives for idenification at BEA, Toulouse
Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
West Bank: Hundreds attend funeral for Palestinian protester amid increased tensions
Trans-Pacific Partnership talks fail to deliver regional trade deal
Wires > News
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks
- 18:19 CET Egypt extends for six months military mandate in Gulf, Red Sea
- 18:03 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 17:17 CET Dutch activists call for Caribbean Netherlands to adopt gay rights
- 17:09 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing he says killed civilians
- 16:34 CET Myanmar leader goes to disaster zones as floods batter countryside