Central Italy has been inundated by floods after days of torrential rain. The governor of Tuscany has called in the army to help after dozens were forced to leave their homes and roads and bridges were swept away.
At least one person is known to have been killed.
The Italian Red Cross has sent 150 volunteers to the regions affected and has set up emergency food kitchens.
The torrential rain means rivers have burst their banks and has exposed problems with drainage systems.
Nearly three-quarters of historic city of Venice is underwater, including St Mark’s Square. The city’s environment officer is blaming climate change, while Italy’s Environment Minister has called for a maintenance programme for the regions.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 4Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
Mary Beard wins Princess of Asturias Award for Social Sciences
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko ‘has arrived in Kyiv’ in prisoner swap with Russia
Europe throws Greece a 10.3-billion-euro lifeline
Wires > News
- 15:59 CET Trump, aiming to offset money disadvantage, escalates Clinton…
- 15:33 CET Israeli rights group accuses military of whitewashing soldiers‘…
- 15:15 CET Merkel says more time needed on EU-Turkey visa deal
- 15:12 CET Turkey’s nationalist MHP leader says to re-run for leadership at…
- 14:58 CET U.S. leads 17 strikes against Islamic State – statement
- 14:50 CET Clearout of Greek refugee camp should reopen economic artery
- 14:47 CET Moscow frees Ukraine pilot in swap for Russians held in conflict
- 14:40 CET Retired Burundian officer killed amid tension over presidency