Central Italy has been inundated by floods after days of torrential rain. The governor of Tuscany has called in the army to help after dozens were forced to leave their homes and roads and bridges were swept away.
At least one person is known to have been killed.
The Italian Red Cross has sent 150 volunteers to the regions affected and has set up emergency food kitchens.
The torrential rain means rivers have burst their banks and has exposed problems with drainage systems.
Nearly three-quarters of historic city of Venice is underwater, including St Mark’s Square. The city’s environment officer is blaming climate change, while Italy’s Environment Minister has called for a maintenance programme for the regions.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 09:57 CET Obama reaffirms commitment to Japan on tour of Asia allies
- 09:26 CET Three foreigners killed in attack in Afghan hospital – security…
- 09:25 CET Wage talks resume as South Africa platinum strike marks 13th week
- 08:36 CET Historic canonisation of two popes brings joy and controversy
- 07:48 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 07:03 CET Pakistan fighter jets target militant hideouts near Afghan border
- 06:54 CET Japan’s Abe: Continue to gain understanding of his Yasukuni visit
- 06:06 CET Australia rules out link between debris and Malaysian plane