Radical Muslim preacher, Abu Qatada, is back at his London home tonight after winning his latest battle against extradition to Jordan.
He was freed on bail after a special UK security court upheld his appeal that he would not get a fair trial in Jordan where he is facing terrorism charges.
The court imposed a 16-hour daily curfew as part of his bail conditions.
Britain’s Home Secretary has made clear she will not rest until Qatada is deported. However, Theresa May faces another lengthy legal battle to make good on her pledge and must now put further pressure on Jordan.
Its acting information minister says the Kingdom’s constitution and constitutional court guarantees a fair trial not based on evidence obtained by torture.
Qatada has been in and out of jail in Britain for seven years without charge since his arrest for bomb plot offences in 2002.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 21:21 CET Two killed by bomb inside Bahrain car – ministry
- 21:16 CET High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- 20:49 CET Man under evaluation for alleged gun threat at L.A. Times building
- 19:13 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 19:04 CET Egyptian court jails Muslim Brotherhood leader for insulting…
- 17:05 CET Strong 7.5 magnitude quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- 17:05 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 17:04 CET New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo