Taxes have made international headlines lately, whether for cases of tax avoidance or tax evasion.
On November 13, UK lawmakers criticized executives of Starbucks, Google and Amazon for not paying more tax in Britain while Amazon said it had received a $252 million demand for back taxes from France, a claim it said it will contest. A few weeks prior, on September 26, 2012, Silvio Berlusconi was sentenced to four years by an Italian court for tax evasion.
These two concepts have been united under the term of “tax non-compliance” by Dr. Michael Wenzel, an Associate Professor in Psychology at the University of Flingers in Australia.
“When taxpayers try to find loopholes with the intention to pay less tax, even if technically legal, their actions may be against the spirit of the law and in this sense considered noncompliant. [My] research will deal with both evasion and avoidance and, based on the premise that either is unfavorable to the tax-system and uncooperative towards the collective, subsume both under the concept of tax non-compliance,” Wenzel wrote in 2002 in the Journal of Applied Psychology.
Drawing from this definition, euronews has set up an augmented map of the latest occurrences of tax non-compliance in Europe. We also included a recent report on Apple’s tax non-compliance in the U.S.
See something missing in the map? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Syrian fighter jet shot down by Israel over the Golan Heights
- 3Israeli PM defends shooting down of Syrian jet over Golan Heights
- 4Algeria: Frenchman ‘kidnapped by ISIL splinter group’ appears in video
- 5Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Air France pilots to continue strike over low-cost plans
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 6Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 13Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:03 CET U.S. and Arab allies launch first strikes on militants in Syria
- 23:45 CET Confusion over returning French ‘jihadis’ suspected of Syria links
- 23:43 CET With Suu Kyi blocked, her Myanmar party eyes ex-general for…
- 23:40 CET Exclusive – U.S. told Iran of intent to strike Islamic State in…
- 22:43 CET Vatican arrests former archbishop on paedophilia charges
- 22:20 CET Snap polls looming, Greece may opt for unusual president – Deputy…
- 21:54 CET Obama calls for inclusive global climate compact that erases old…
- 21:32 CET Exclusive – United States defends Syria airstrikes in letter to…