Taxes have made international headlines lately, whether for cases of tax avoidance or tax evasion.
On November 13, UK lawmakers criticized executives of Starbucks, Google and Amazon for not paying more tax in Britain while Amazon said it had received a $252 million demand for back taxes from France, a claim it said it will contest. A few weeks prior, on September 26, 2012, Silvio Berlusconi was sentenced to four years by an Italian court for tax evasion.
These two concepts have been united under the term of “tax non-compliance” by Dr. Michael Wenzel, an Associate Professor in Psychology at the University of Flingers in Australia.
“When taxpayers try to find loopholes with the intention to pay less tax, even if technically legal, their actions may be against the spirit of the law and in this sense considered noncompliant. [My] research will deal with both evasion and avoidance and, based on the premise that either is unfavorable to the tax-system and uncooperative towards the collective, subsume both under the concept of tax non-compliance,” Wenzel wrote in 2002 in the Journal of Applied Psychology.
Drawing from this definition, euronews has set up an augmented map of the latest occurrences of tax non-compliance in Europe. We also included a recent report on Apple’s tax non-compliance in the U.S.
See something missing in the map? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter.
- 1Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 2Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 5Malaysia: Protesters demand resignation of PM Najib Razak over financial scandal
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Latest world news
Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
Malaysia: Protesters demand resignation of PM Najib Razak over financial scandal
Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
Thai police arrest ‘Turkish’ man over Bangkok bombing
Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
Wires > News
- 02:19 CET American arrested on Sierra Leone ‘blood diamond’ charges
- 23:40 CET Egyptian court sentences three Al Jazeera journalists to prison
- 22:15 CET Turkish opposition leader says talks would secure Kurdish ceasefire
- 21:10 CET Refugee children, close to death, found in van in Austria
- 19:19 CET European ministers agree more railway security, urge Schengen…
- 19:11 CET Myanmar bans parties from criticising army in state media
- 17:55 CET Christian group occupies Philippine highway for second night
- 16:20 CET Iran’s Rouhani says military power not affected by nuclear deal -…