Taxes have made international headlines lately, whether for cases of tax avoidance or tax evasion.
On November 13, UK lawmakers criticized executives of Starbucks, Google and Amazon for not paying more tax in Britain while Amazon said it had received a $252 million demand for back taxes from France, a claim it said it will contest. A few weeks prior, on September 26, 2012, Silvio Berlusconi was sentenced to four years by an Italian court for tax evasion.
These two concepts have been united under the term of “tax non-compliance” by Dr. Michael Wenzel, an Associate Professor in Psychology at the University of Flingers in Australia.
“When taxpayers try to find loopholes with the intention to pay less tax, even if technically legal, their actions may be against the spirit of the law and in this sense considered noncompliant. [My] research will deal with both evasion and avoidance and, based on the premise that either is unfavorable to the tax-system and uncooperative towards the collective, subsume both under the concept of tax non-compliance,” Wenzel wrote in 2002 in the Journal of Applied Psychology.
Drawing from this definition, euronews has set up an augmented map of the latest occurrences of tax non-compliance in Europe. We also included a recent report on Apple’s tax non-compliance in the U.S.
See something missing in the map? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Syria fighting rages despite fresh efforts to end the war
- 3Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 4Austria calls on FYRM to close borders to migrants
- 5Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Wires > News
- 05:40 CET North Korea to halt search for Japanese abductees – KCNA
- 04:13 CET Quake hits eastern Indonesia island, no casualties reported
- 03:45 CET Australian hospital refuses to release baby for detention on Nauru
- 02:24 CET After 1,000-year split, pope and Russian patriarch embrace in Cuba
- 01:02 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 00:02 CET ‘No Bashar al-Assad in the future’, says Saudi foreign minister -…
- 23:37 CET U.S. okays sale of 8 Lockheed F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan -…
- 21:53 CET Divisive politics return as India’s Modi eyes make-or-break state…