Taxes have made international headlines lately, whether for cases of tax avoidance or tax evasion.
On November 13, UK lawmakers criticized executives of Starbucks, Google and Amazon for not paying more tax in Britain while Amazon said it had received a $252 million demand for back taxes from France, a claim it said it will contest. A few weeks prior, on September 26, 2012, Silvio Berlusconi was sentenced to four years by an Italian court for tax evasion.
These two concepts have been united under the term of “tax non-compliance” by Dr. Michael Wenzel, an Associate Professor in Psychology at the University of Flingers in Australia.
“When taxpayers try to find loopholes with the intention to pay less tax, even if technically legal, their actions may be against the spirit of the law and in this sense considered noncompliant. [My] research will deal with both evasion and avoidance and, based on the premise that either is unfavorable to the tax-system and uncooperative towards the collective, subsume both under the concept of tax non-compliance,” Wenzel wrote in 2002 in the Journal of Applied Psychology.
Drawing from this definition, euronews has set up an augmented map of the latest occurrences of tax non-compliance in Europe. We also included a recent report on Apple’s tax non-compliance in the U.S.
See something missing in the map? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
80,000 flee as inferno threatens Canadian oil hub
Aleppo a city of slaughter as diplomats struggle for solutions
EU Commission to call for visa-free travel for Turks
Australia votes on July 2 after PM Turnbull calls election
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal
Wires > News
- 13:29 CET Russia withdraws 30 aircraft from Syria – TASS cites defence…
- 13:23 CET Russia to form three new military divisions to counter NATO
- 13:21 CET EU proposes scheme to share out asylum seekers
- 13:20 CET Turkey will keep responding to rocket fire from Syria – Erdogan
- 13:15 CET Bangladeshi group met in parks, plotted attacks, says Singapore
- 13:06 CET Tanker leaves east Libyan port without loading, amid stand-off…
- 12:55 CET China to carry out more military drills in South China Sea
- 12:50 CET Isolated Nepal PM not ready to go after Maoists call for change