Taxes have made international headlines lately, whether for cases of tax avoidance or tax evasion.
On November 13, UK lawmakers criticized executives of Starbucks, Google and Amazon for not paying more tax in Britain while Amazon said it had received a $252 million demand for back taxes from France, a claim it said it will contest. A few weeks prior, on September 26, 2012, Silvio Berlusconi was sentenced to four years by an Italian court for tax evasion.
These two concepts have been united under the term of “tax non-compliance” by Dr. Michael Wenzel, an Associate Professor in Psychology at the University of Flingers in Australia.
“When taxpayers try to find loopholes with the intention to pay less tax, even if technically legal, their actions may be against the spirit of the law and in this sense considered noncompliant. [My] research will deal with both evasion and avoidance and, based on the premise that either is unfavorable to the tax-system and uncooperative towards the collective, subsume both under the concept of tax non-compliance,” Wenzel wrote in 2002 in the Journal of Applied Psychology.
Drawing from this definition, euronews has set up an augmented map of the latest occurrences of tax non-compliance in Europe. We also included a recent report on Apple’s tax non-compliance in the U.S.
See something missing in the map? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 05:37 CET Corruption allegations raise doubts about Indonesian trials of…
- 05:08 CET Desperate Nepalese sleep in open, seek help as aftershocks spread…
- 23:26 CET U.S. Secretary of State Kerry to meet with Iran foreign minister…
- 22:00 CET Israeli air strike kills four planting bomb at Syria frontier -…
- 20:59 CET Togo election peaceful, with turnout low, observers say
- 20:32 CET U.S., allies conduct air strikes in Syria, Iraq – U.S. military
- 19:51 CET Benin president denies third term bid as vote proceeds
- 19:25 CET U.S. mulls ransom policy for families of overseas hostages – ABC TV