Taxes have made international headlines lately, whether for cases of tax avoidance or tax evasion.
On November 13, UK lawmakers criticized executives of Starbucks, Google and Amazon for not paying more tax in Britain while Amazon said it had received a $252 million demand for back taxes from France, a claim it said it will contest. A few weeks prior, on September 26, 2012, Silvio Berlusconi was sentenced to four years by an Italian court for tax evasion.
These two concepts have been united under the term of “tax non-compliance” by Dr. Michael Wenzel, an Associate Professor in Psychology at the University of Flingers in Australia.
“When taxpayers try to find loopholes with the intention to pay less tax, even if technically legal, their actions may be against the spirit of the law and in this sense considered noncompliant. [My] research will deal with both evasion and avoidance and, based on the premise that either is unfavorable to the tax-system and uncooperative towards the collective, subsume both under the concept of tax non-compliance,” Wenzel wrote in 2002 in the Journal of Applied Psychology.
Drawing from this definition, euronews has set up an augmented map of the latest occurrences of tax non-compliance in Europe. We also included a recent report on Apple’s tax non-compliance in the U.S.
See something missing in the map? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:59 CET Polish ex-minister fined for not declaring luxury watch
- 18:56 CET Brazil’s Rousseff confirms banker Levy as finance minister
- 18:28 CET NATO wrestles with new fast-reaction force prompted by Ukraine…
- 18:09 CET Bird flu outbreak in India caused by strain humans can contract -…
- 17:53 CET Thankful just to arrive on snowy U.S. holiday with power out…
- 17:17 CET Explosion, gunfire heard in diplomatic quarter of Afghan capital
- 16:52 CET Dinner with Suu Kyi? – No thanks, say Myanmar military
- 16:49 CET In Syria, desperate residents see little hope in U.N. Aleppo truce…