12/11/12 23:03 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A petition calling for a real Christmas tree in Brussels’ Grand Place has attracted 10,000 signatures.
Angering traditionalists, the Belgian city’s tourist board has commissioned a 25-metre installation made from screens that will put on light and sound displays.
Reassuring people that the festivities will be just as authentic, president of Brussels Tourism Philippe Close said: “Let’s be clear, there’ll be a Christmas tree and a nativity scene. Christmas traditions will be respected.
“The theme this year is “winter pleasures” at the huge Christmas market that has a worldwide reputation. We wanted to emphasize culture and modernity, so asked artists to reinvent the Christmas tree, which is actually a pagan symbol,” he explained.
There have been attempts to stir racial tensions, with some falsely blaming the switch from the usual real Christmas tree on offended Muslims.
Wires > News
- 20:07 CET Drowned baby picture captures week of tragedy in Mediterranean
- 20:06 CET White House placed on partial security lockdown – official
- 19:32 CET Libyan oil guard says captures coastal town from Islamic State…
- 19:31 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 19:25 CET Chad’s ex-leader Habre, Cold War-era ally of West, gets life in…
- 18:56 CET Syrian opposition to decide new negotiating team next week after…
- 18:53 CET Brother of Paris attacker on trial over militant training
- 16:48 CET Turkey’s Erdogan – No Muslim family should engage in birth control