Italy’s Environment Minister, Corrado Clini called for more funding to shore up weather defences as the country was hit by a massive downpour.
The heavy rains, which started in the north have now moved to Umbria in the centre of the country.
In the scenic region known as ‘the green heart of Italy’ people were forced to flee as they were hit by flooding and mudslides.
In neighbouring Tuscany around 200 people were evacuated from their homes after 23 centimetres of rain fell in just four hours. Bridges, vineyards and olive groves were all swept away.
A day earlier Venice had been the first victim of the flooding, and much of the historic city and its buildings remained under water on Monday.
This is the fourth time since 2000 that Venice has been hit by record high water. A barrier to protect the city from the repeated winter flooding is due to be finished in 2015.
Forecasters expect the torrential rain to continue throughout Tuesday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Five more years for Bouteflika
- 4Ceausescu’s Bucharest pleasuredome up for sale
- 5Ukraine: Pro-Russian separatists offered amnesty if they disarm
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 07:07 CET Search resumes after Everest’s worst climbing tragedy
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status