As the eurozone’s finance ministers meet in Brussels, Greece will be hoping they’ve done enough to convince them that they are deserving of the next tranche of the bailout – some 31.5 billion euros.
Pierre Moscovici, French Finance Minister:
“I hope that tonight we can a find political agreement in order to say: ‘Well,we can go on with the Greek programme, lets put this programme behind us and lets rebuild the confidence in the eurozone’.”
IMF chief Christine Lagarde was also on hand, but although hopeful, she wasn’t showing all her cards.
Christine Lagard, IMF Managing Director:
“Greece has done an awful lot of work and has shown some real resolve. So it’s now for the creditors to do the same. And certainly the IMF will as always play its part. We are in for, not a quick fix, but a real fix.”
After pushing through another round of punishing austerity measures and deepening the civil unrest at home, Greece may now justifiably feel they’ve done all they can.
All that remains is for them to sit back and wait.
Andrei Beketov, euronews:
“Greece can count on the new tranche thanks to the willingness of its parliament, a nod from it’s creditors and political good will. What’s lacking is the time for negotiations. Finance ministers need to find the best route between the money -and Athens. Andrei Beketov, euronews, Brussels”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news