As the eurozone’s finance ministers meet in Brussels, Greece will be hoping they’ve done enough to convince them that they are deserving of the next tranche of the bailout – some 31.5 billion euros.
Pierre Moscovici, French Finance Minister:
“I hope that tonight we can a find political agreement in order to say: ‘Well,we can go on with the Greek programme, lets put this programme behind us and lets rebuild the confidence in the eurozone’.”
IMF chief Christine Lagarde was also on hand, but although hopeful, she wasn’t showing all her cards.
Christine Lagard, IMF Managing Director:
“Greece has done an awful lot of work and has shown some real resolve. So it’s now for the creditors to do the same. And certainly the IMF will as always play its part. We are in for, not a quick fix, but a real fix.”
After pushing through another round of punishing austerity measures and deepening the civil unrest at home, Greece may now justifiably feel they’ve done all they can.
All that remains is for them to sit back and wait.
Andrei Beketov, euronews:
“Greece can count on the new tranche thanks to the willingness of its parliament, a nod from it’s creditors and political good will. What’s lacking is the time for negotiations. Finance ministers need to find the best route between the money -and Athens. Andrei Beketov, euronews, Brussels”
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 16Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video