At least 42 Kenyan police officers have been killed by thieves stealing cattle.
Officials claim the robbers used sophisticated weapons such as rocket-propelled grenades during an ambush at the weekend.
The death toll has been rising since Saturday, with more and more bodies discovered in the forest.
The ambush happened in Suguta Valley, part of Kenya’s Great Rift Valley. The killers are believed to be from Turkana – also in the Great Rift Valley.
Several people, including officers, are being treated in hospital and members of the force are still missing.
It is the deadliest attack on police in Kenya.
Cattle thieves killed 13 people in a neighbouring community during another raid two weeks ago.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:41 CET Blast rocks Donetsk in east Ukraine, no deaths reported
- 14:05 CET Nigeria declared Ebola-free after containing virus
- 13:53 CET Ukraine, Russia gas deal may be just enough to get through winter
- 13:47 CET Thai rights body to probe torture claims over tourist murders
- 12:59 CET EU’s Ashton to stay on until end of Iran nuclear talks
- 12:54 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 12:46 CET Bus accident kills 20 in Bangladesh, leaves 30 injured
- 12:08 CET Japanese PM Abe suffers setback as two ministers quit