At least 42 Kenyan police officers have been killed by thieves stealing cattle.
Officials claim the robbers used sophisticated weapons such as rocket-propelled grenades during an ambush at the weekend.
The death toll has been rising since Saturday, with more and more bodies discovered in the forest.
The ambush happened in Suguta Valley, part of Kenya’s Great Rift Valley. The killers are believed to be from Turkana – also in the Great Rift Valley.
Several people, including officers, are being treated in hospital and members of the force are still missing.
It is the deadliest attack on police in Kenya.
Cattle thieves killed 13 people in a neighbouring community during another raid two weeks ago.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Algeria: Frenchman ‘kidnapped by ISIL splinter group’ appears in video
- 3Poroshenko declares war in east Ukraine “impossible to win by military means alone”
- 4Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’
- 5Greece: homeless people lead tours of Athens’ back streets and alleys
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Air France pilots to continue strike over low-cost plans
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:50 CET Israeli troops kill Hamas men blamed for slaying teens – army
- 09:35 CET Landslides and floods kill 22 in India’s northeast
- 09:26 CET Israeli military says shot down Syrian warplane over Golan Heights
- 09:22 CET Chinese court jails Uighur scholar for life for separatism
- 08:39 CET U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on IS in Syria
- 07:26 CET China court sentences Uighur scholar to life in prison for…
- 07:24 CET Sultan seen setting risky precedent in Malaysia opposition crisis
- 07:19 CET U.S., Iran seek common ground against militants, but doubts persist