Back to 1942
An epic movie about a devastating Chinese famine has finally made it to the screen at the Rome Film Festival.
‘Back to 1942’ is a no-holds-barred telling of one of modern China’s most grim times.
It is based in Henan province where the famine had forced millions to search for food. Even Fan the wealthy landowner had to join the escape to avoid starvation.
The film also features the real-life American journalist Theodore White who was shocked by what he saw there.
The actor who plays him, Adrien Brody, said:
“When you are able to create awareness of something as horrendous as mass starvation, and refugees that are not being attended to; Theodore White by his tenacity was able to put some pressure onto the Chinese government, by exposing this.”
It is directed by Feng Xiaogang, who received praise for the big scale of his depiction, but some criticism for over-labouring the message.
Celestial Wives of Meadow Mari
Russian director Alexey Fedorchenko showcased his work the ‘Celestial Wives of Meadow Mari’. It is centred on the Mari ethnic group living in the Ural mountains.
It is filmed in the traditional Mari language and was filmed in Mari villages 150 kilometers from Yekaterinburg.
All the characters appear to have names beginning with the letter O.
There is little plot to speak of, but the film follows 22 separate stories that interweave, many of them heavily focused on sex.
Fedorchenko said: “Eight years ago I read a book on the Mari by Denis Osokin and I liked it a lot. After I finished it I decided to make a film.”
The Rome Film Festival is in its seventh year. This year there are 59 premieres and films from 26 different countries.
- 1Bitola: from macchiatos to mosaics
- 2‘Just extraordinary’ – Martha Argerich and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra pay homage to Claudio Abbado
- 3Billy Gibbons goes solo and David Bowie has a new single
- 4Sufragette – a film which reflects a milestone in British history
- 5Much more than a concert hall – insights from the Chairman of Philharmonie de Paris
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary