Back to 1942
An epic movie about a devastating Chinese famine has finally made it to the screen at the Rome Film Festival.
‘Back to 1942’ is a no-holds-barred telling of one of modern China’s most grim times.
It is based in Henan province where the famine had forced millions to search for food. Even Fan the wealthy landowner had to join the escape to avoid starvation.
The film also features the real-life American journalist Theodore White who was shocked by what he saw there.
The actor who plays him, Adrien Brody, said:
“When you are able to create awareness of something as horrendous as mass starvation, and refugees that are not being attended to; Theodore White by his tenacity was able to put some pressure onto the Chinese government, by exposing this.”
It is directed by Feng Xiaogang, who received praise for the big scale of his depiction, but some criticism for over-labouring the message.
Celestial Wives of Meadow Mari
Russian director Alexey Fedorchenko showcased his work the ‘Celestial Wives of Meadow Mari’. It is centred on the Mari ethnic group living in the Ural mountains.
It is filmed in the traditional Mari language and was filmed in Mari villages 150 kilometers from Yekaterinburg.
All the characters appear to have names beginning with the letter O.
There is little plot to speak of, but the film follows 22 separate stories that interweave, many of them heavily focused on sex.
Fedorchenko said: “Eight years ago I read a book on the Mari by Denis Osokin and I liked it a lot. After I finished it I decided to make a film.”
The Rome Film Festival is in its seventh year. This year there are 59 premieres and films from 26 different countries.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections