Hundreds of people turned out to greet Angela Merkel on her first official visit to Portugal.
Unfortunately, perhaps for the German Chancellor most of those who took to the Lisbon streets were there to protest against austerity measures they blame her government for.
Merkel’s brief trip was meant to be another show of support for a bailed-out eurozone member trying to restore the country’s flagging fortunes.
It thus fell to Portugal’s Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho to defend the chancellor from claims she’s driven Portugal into poverty.
He blamed Portugal’s debt crisis on overspending by previous governments: “It was the lack of competitiveness of our economy that has brought us to the situation of almost unsustainable public debt and large external deficits. Our European partners such as the International Monetary Fund have been helping us to recover from this structural situation,” he said.
Merkel’s visit was also aimed at reassuring voters back home that money’s being well spent, which may be why she announced a series of German led youth training programmes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 3Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 4Four children among road crash dead near Troyes, France
- 5Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 05:05 CET Airports in east China face delays due to military exercises
- 04:51 CET U.S. announces arrests in border crackdown on human smuggling
- 04:46 CET Peru’s Humala lifts party activists in cabinet shake-up
- 04:44 CET Poll shows Brazil’s Rousseff would win presidential runoff
- 04:24 CET Australian Islamist returns home to surveillance, not jail
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 00:11 CET Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…