Pakistan marked “Malala Day” on Saturday in support of the schoolgirl who was shot by the Taliban for standing up for women’s education.
Malala Yousefzai survived being shot in the head by militants a month ago as she was returning home in a school bus. Two classmates were also hurt in the attack.
Other students from the same area have been speaking out.
“ A few days before the attack on Malala red marks were put on our gate,” says Hina Khan. “Two or three times my father erased the marks but after the third time my father received a telephone call asking ‘is Hina Khan your daughter?’ He said yes so they said ‘we will not spare any of you because Hina Khan has raised her voice for education’”.
Malala was flown unconscious to England and is now recovering in a hospital in Birmingham. After the shooting she became an international icon.
World leaders pledged to support her campaign for girls’ education and the UN declared Malala Day. Several countries have launched campaigns have her nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
- 1German police make progress in profiling of Andreas Lubitz, as new video emerges
- 2“I hope I never return to a locked door”: Pilot who foresaw Germanwings crash
- 3Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 4Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 5Istanbul: Police negotiate with gunmen who’ve taken prosecutor hostage
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:38 CET Hurricane-strength winds pummel Europe, four killed
- 21:13 CET Obama lifts hold on U.S. military aid to Egypt
- 21:09 CET Chad, Niger troops retake Nigeria border town from Boko Haram
- 20:59 CET Prosecutor injured, two captors killed in Istanbul hostage shootout
- 20:52 CET Azerbaijan expels visiting Human Rights Watch representative
- 20:46 CET Lufthansa flight school knew of crash pilot’s depression
- 20:28 CET U.S. carries out more air strikes against Islamic State in Iraq…
- 19:55 CET Russia denies seeking to buy political sway with Hungarian nuclear…