Skiing through a heavy curtain of fog Sweden’s Andre Myhrer started the new season the way he finished the last when he won the opening men’s World Cup slalom race in Levi, Finland.
The Slalom world number one – who claimed the discpline’s title by winning the last two races of the season last winter to narrowly beat Austria’s Marcel Hirscher – was in fine fettle at the world cup circuit’s northernmost venue.
Myhrer crossed the line in a combined time of one minute 49.55 seconds.
Once again he got the better of Hirscher. Last season’s overall World Cup champion produced a solid couple of runs to crossed the line for second place – his best placing at the Finnish resort after having never made it into the top ten there.
The Austrian sportsman of the year, who was third in the opening giant slalom two weeks ago in Soelden crossed over a mere six hundredths of a second slower than his rival. He does however remain at the top of the overall world cup standings on 140 points – 10 points clear of Italian Manfred Moelgg who was fourth.
The third and final place on the podium in Levi went to Jens Byggmark who completed a fine day for the Swedes. His result was made all the more impressive as the 27-year-old almost hit the deck twice and had not made it on a World Cup rostrum since 2008.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
Wires > Sport
- 23:55 CET Former boxing champ shot to death during robbery in Atlanta
- 23:53 CET Mandzukic answers critics to send Juve into last 16
- 23:22 CET Real take top spot by thwarting Shakhtar rally
- 22:59 CET Manchester United draw to squander chance of place in last 16
- 22:51 CET Griezmann fires Atletico into last 16, Galatasaray out
- 22:46 CET Ibrahimovic’s happy homecoming as PSG thrash Malmo
- 22:44 CET Gladbach end Sevilla’s knockout stage hopes with 4-2 win
- 22:31 CET Athletics-Retired Olympic medallist Devetzi fails doping test