11/11/12 15:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Israel says it may increase attacks on the Gaza Strip, as tit-for-tat violence over the weekend threatens to escalate the tense relationship between Israel and the Palestinians.
Militants in Gaza launched dozens of short-range missiles into southern Israeli border towns. One injured four soldiers as it hit a military jeep that was patrolling near the border.
Perhaps mindful of elections on January 22, conservative Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu is warning of stronger retaliation.
“The world must understand that Israel will not sit idly by while attempts are made to attack us. We are prepared to escalate our response,” he said.
As well as two militants, four civilians are dead and at least thirty-two others have been wounded in ground and air strikes in and around Gaza, as Tel Aviv strikes back.
Israel is blaming Hamas for the recent violence, but the islamist group says Netanyahu is launching attacks against innocent people.
“This is a very dangerous escalation. Israel is aiming at, targeting and killing civilians. We cannot stay silent and will never accept what Israel has imposed on Gaza, the Palestinian people and the Palestinian resistance,” said Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum.
There have also been fighting words from Palestinian militants, who have warned Israelis living near the border not to stray far from their bomb shelters.
There is hope the situation will not spiral into a repeat of the three-week-long Gaza War which started in December 2008.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 3Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 4Turkey returns body of Russian pilot whose warplane it shot down
- 5All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
EU and Turkey agree on a 3-billion euro plan to confront the flows of refugees into Europe
‘Save our planet’ say demonstrators worldwide on eve of UN climate summit
Over 100 arrests made as Paris scuffles precede COP21 climate forum
‘Statelessness, not state’ killed Tahir Elci, claims pro-Kurdish HDP leader
Pope Francis brings message of reconciliation to Central African Republic
Wires > News
- 21:23 CET Declaring ‘new beginning’, EU, Turkey seal migrant deal
- 21:19 CET Mourners at funeral of Kurdish lawyer cast doubt over justice
- 21:05 CET Israel suspends EU role in peace process with Palestinians
- 21:04 CET Planned Parenthood says Colorado shooter opposed abortion
- 21:01 CET U.S. senators call for 20,000 troops in Syria and Iraq
- 20:31 CET German police tackle mass brawl at Berlin refugee shelter
- 19:48 CET Turkey recovers body of pilot from downed Russian jet
- 19:47 CET Burkina Faso votes to choose first new leader in decades