Israel says it may increase attacks on the Gaza Strip, as tit-for-tat violence over the weekend threatens to escalate the tense relationship between Israel and the Palestinians.
Militants in Gaza launched dozens of short-range missiles into southern Israeli border towns. One injured four soldiers as it hit a military jeep that was patrolling near the border.
Perhaps mindful of elections on January 22, conservative Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu is warning of stronger retaliation.
“The world must understand that Israel will not sit idly by while attempts are made to attack us. We are prepared to escalate our response,” he said.
As well as two militants, four civilians are dead and at least thirty-two others have been wounded in ground and air strikes in and around Gaza, as Tel Aviv strikes back.
Israel is blaming Hamas for the recent violence, but the islamist group says Netanyahu is launching attacks against innocent people.
“This is a very dangerous escalation. Israel is aiming at, targeting and killing civilians. We cannot stay silent and will never accept what Israel has imposed on Gaza, the Palestinian people and the Palestinian resistance,” said Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum.
There have also been fighting words from Palestinian militants, who have warned Israelis living near the border not to stray far from their bomb shelters.
There is hope the situation will not spiral into a repeat of the three-week-long Gaza War which started in December 2008.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 3Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 4Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 5Hundreds pay tribute to police officer killed at a Texas petrol station
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
French PM Valls urges EU solidarity amid unprecedented migrant crisis
Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
Migrant Crisis Live: Calais news conference by French ministers and senior EU officials
Arrest warrants issued for two new Bangkok bombing suspects
Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
Wires > News
- 14:52 CET Thousands sign petition to stop rape of low-caste Indian sisters
- 14:48 CET Pakistani official says Haqqani militants weakened, despite …
- 14:41 CET Police hurt in protests as Ukraine MPs votes on special status for…
- 14:17 CET Merkel expects Greece to meet commitments for bailout package
- 13:59 CET Six elite soldiers killed in eastern Congo ambush
- 13:30 CET Two police wounded by grenade outside Ukraine parliament – Reuters…
- 11:58 CET Two U.S. F-22 fighter jets arrive in Poland as part of European…
- 11:15 CET Analysis – Refugee crisis suddenly Merkel’s biggest challenge