George Entwistle has resigned as director general of the BBC, the UK’s public service broadcaster.
He stepped down on Saturday over a news report which incorrectly implicated a former senior Tory politician in allegations of child abuse.
In a statement on Saturday Entwistle said:
“In light of the fact that the director general is also editor-in-chief and ultimately responsible for all content, and in light of the unacceptable journalistic standards of the Newsnight film broadcast on Friday the 2nd of November, I have decided that the honourable thing to do is to step down from the post of director general.”
The Newsnight report had been investigating claims of child abuse at care homes in Wales in the 1980s. It mistakenly implied that former senior Tory Lord McAlpine had been involved. He said the claims were false and defamatory.
The BBC is also under scrutiny after a documentary claimed Jimmy Savile, one its most famous presenters in the 70s and 80s who is now dead, was a prolific sex offender. Police say he could have abused up to 300 victims and an investigation is underway.
George Entwistle was only appointed to the post of director general two months ago. The UK Culture Secretary, Maria Miller, said his decision was regrettable but right.
Labour MP Ben Bradshaw said Entwistle’s departure was a terrible mistake.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:55 CET Air Canada plane landed short, hit antennas in Halifax accident
- 20:24 CET Egypt lists top Brotherhood leader, 17 others as terrorists -…
- 18:32 CET Turkey detains five Dutch people seeking to enter Syria
- 18:19 CET Liberia calls for sexual abstinence to cut Ebola transmission risk
- 17:17 CET Tanzania president warns of rising religious tensions before…
- 16:53 CET Afghan court sentences AP photojournalist’s killer to 20 years in…
- 16:25 CET Singapore stands still as nation bids farewell to founding father…
- 16:19 CET Thousands of Tunisians, leaders march after Bardo attack