Residents in a northern Spanish town of Barakaldo held a vigil on Friday night for a woman who killed herself by jumping from the balcony of her apartment from which she was about to be evicted.
Amaia Egaña had been unable to make her mortgage payments. She is the second person in recent times to commit suicide over an issue which is causing deep resentment in Spain.
“I’m the fourth person who saw her on the floor because I am her neighbour,” said one man. “Shame on the government for these things. They are cutting and cutting and we can’t live anymore.”
As well as family, friends and neighbours, members of the Spanish Association to Stop Evictions gathered in front of the building.
The government and opposition socialists have agreed to take urgent measures to help the most vulnerable mortgage defaulters.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 23:49 CET Pope to allow all priests to forgive abortion during Holy Year
- 23:07 CET U.S. drone kills six suspected militants in Pakistan
- 23:02 CET Western-backed Syrian rebels say kill foreign Islamic State…
- 23:00 CET Cameroon involved in Central Africa ‘blood diamond’ trade – …
- 22:54 CET Greek ship ferries hundreds more migrants to mainland
- 22:30 CET Friendly fire from Saudi-led coalition kills seven in Yemen -…
- 22:26 CET Migrant chaos at Budapest train station; Germany says EU rules…
- 22:04 CET Israel slams Palestinians’ push to fly their flag at U.N.