Residents in a northern Spanish town of Barakaldo held a vigil on Friday night for a woman who killed herself by jumping from the balcony of her apartment from which she was about to be evicted.
Amaia Egaña had been unable to make her mortgage payments. She is the second person in recent times to commit suicide over an issue which is causing deep resentment in Spain.
“I’m the fourth person who saw her on the floor because I am her neighbour,” said one man. “Shame on the government for these things. They are cutting and cutting and we can’t live anymore.”
As well as family, friends and neighbours, members of the Spanish Association to Stop Evictions gathered in front of the building.
The government and opposition socialists have agreed to take urgent measures to help the most vulnerable mortgage defaulters.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 14:41 CET Two killed in Bahrain car explosion – Interior Ministry
- 14:10 CET Death toll climbs to at least 13 in worst tragedy on Everest
- 14:02 CET Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks…
- 11:39 CET Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey’s Syrian border
- 11:31 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 11:28 CET Egyptian leftist politician submits bid to run for president
- 10:08 CET Gunmen kidnap two Pakistani U.N. staff members from Karachi
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state