Residents in a northern Spanish town of Barakaldo held a vigil on Friday night for a woman who killed herself by jumping from the balcony of her apartment from which she was about to be evicted.
Amaia Egaña had been unable to make her mortgage payments. She is the second person in recent times to commit suicide over an issue which is causing deep resentment in Spain.
“I’m the fourth person who saw her on the floor because I am her neighbour,” said one man. “Shame on the government for these things. They are cutting and cutting and we can’t live anymore.”
As well as family, friends and neighbours, members of the Spanish Association to Stop Evictions gathered in front of the building.
The government and opposition socialists have agreed to take urgent measures to help the most vulnerable mortgage defaulters.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 3A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 4Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Special elite police units to help guard Tour de France
Rise of the far-right in Europe after the result of the Austrian presidential election
France blockades hit ‘all’ oil refineries as labour dispute hardens
Iraqi offensive in Fallujah causing concern over civilian safety, says UN
EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
Wires > News
- 17:09 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional reform to curb public spending
- 17:04 CET Greece starts moving migrants from squalid border camp
- 16:48 CET New Turkish cabinet reflects Erdogan’s growing power
- 16:32 CET Pakistan says can’t confirm Taliban leader killed in U.S. drone…
- 16:22 CET Iraq forces keep up shelling of Falluja, U.N. concern mounts for…
- 16:10 CET Japan, Canada share ‘serious concerns’ on South China Sea – PM Abe
- 16:03 CET Afghanistan says Taliban shadow governor in Helmand killed
- 15:59 CET Father of Lebanese soldier killed by Nusra Front admits revenge…