Sailing’s most demanding solo, non-stop circumnavigation race around the world got underway on Saturday.
Thousands of spectators gathered at the port of Les Sables d’Olonne in France to cheer on competitors of the Vendée Globe who partook in the traditional parade of sail down the town’s canal before heading off to sea.
One of the biggest send offs went to skipper of Banque Populare – Frenchman Armel Le Cleac’h who is the bookies favourite for this edition.
There are three Britons in the 20 boat fleet. Samantha Davies – who finished fourth in 2009 – again battles the demanding course.
While Mike Golding and Alex Thomson make up the British trio.
Having set off from Les Sables d’Olonne the fleet will make it’s way down the Atlantic Ocean to the Cape of Good Hope – sail clockwise around Antarctica before making its way back to France.
The record for the gruelling solo race was set by Frenchman Michel Desjoyeaux in 2009, when he completed the course in 84 days and three hours.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > Sport
- 14:58 CET Arteta may make FA Cup final, says Wenger
- 14:28 CET Blatter misled us all, says Platini
- 13:57 CET Bayliss set to become England coach – report
- 13:30 CET Berdych storms into French Open second round
- 13:28 CET Sheffield United sack Clough
- 11:33 CET Badminton joins SportAccord exodus over IOC attack
- 08:31 CET History repeats for outgoing Stuttgart rescuer Stevens
- 03:48 CET Australia name strong squad for first World Cup qualifier