Sailing’s most demanding solo, non-stop circumnavigation race around the world got underway on Saturday.
Thousands of spectators gathered at the port of Les Sables d’Olonne in France to cheer on competitors of the Vendée Globe who partook in the traditional parade of sail down the town’s canal before heading off to sea.
One of the biggest send offs went to skipper of Banque Populare – Frenchman Armel Le Cleac’h who is the bookies favourite for this edition.
There are three Britons in the 20 boat fleet. Samantha Davies – who finished fourth in 2009 – again battles the demanding course.
While Mike Golding and Alex Thomson make up the British trio.
Having set off from Les Sables d’Olonne the fleet will make it’s way down the Atlantic Ocean to the Cape of Good Hope – sail clockwise around Antarctica before making its way back to France.
The record for the gruelling solo race was set by Frenchman Michel Desjoyeaux in 2009, when he completed the course in 84 days and three hours.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 21:55 CET Gala Leon becomes Spain’s first female Davis Cup captain
- 21:28 CET Irish 2,000 Guineas winner Kingman retired to stud
- 21:00 CET Qatar adamant it will host 2022 World Cup despite doubts
- 20:54 CET Qatar adamant it will host 2022 World Cup despite doubts
- 20:32 CET Ryder Cup players must leave egos behind – Rotella
- 19:52 CET Is the depth of PGA Tour talent stronger than ever?
- 19:22 CET Kreuziger cleared of doping violation by Czech committee
- 18:55 CET Fowler cuts a dash with ‘USA’ hairstyle