Sailing’s most demanding solo, non-stop circumnavigation race around the world got underway on Saturday.
Thousands of spectators gathered at the port of Les Sables d’Olonne in France to cheer on competitors of the Vendée Globe who partook in the traditional parade of sail down the town’s canal before heading off to sea.
One of the biggest send offs went to skipper of Banque Populare – Frenchman Armel Le Cleac’h who is the bookies favourite for this edition.
There are three Britons in the 20 boat fleet. Samantha Davies – who finished fourth in 2009 – again battles the demanding course.
While Mike Golding and Alex Thomson make up the British trio.
Having set off from Les Sables d’Olonne the fleet will make it’s way down the Atlantic Ocean to the Cape of Good Hope – sail clockwise around Antarctica before making its way back to France.
The record for the gruelling solo race was set by Frenchman Michel Desjoyeaux in 2009, when he completed the course in 84 days and three hours.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
Wires > Sport
- 23:55 CET Former boxing champ shot to death during robbery in Atlanta
- 23:53 CET Mandzukic answers critics to send Juve into last 16
- 23:22 CET Real take top spot by thwarting Shakhtar rally
- 22:59 CET Manchester United draw to squander chance of place in last 16
- 22:51 CET Griezmann fires Atletico into last 16, Galatasaray out
- 22:46 CET Ibrahimovic’s happy homecoming as PSG thrash Malmo
- 22:44 CET Gladbach end Sevilla’s knockout stage hopes with 4-2 win
- 22:31 CET Athletics-Retired Olympic medallist Devetzi fails doping test