Sailing’s most demanding solo, non-stop circumnavigation race around the world got underway on Saturday.
Thousands of spectators gathered at the port of Les Sables d’Olonne in France to cheer on competitors of the Vendée Globe who partook in the traditional parade of sail down the town’s canal before heading off to sea.
One of the biggest send offs went to skipper of Banque Populare – Frenchman Armel Le Cleac’h who is the bookies favourite for this edition.
There are three Britons in the 20 boat fleet. Samantha Davies – who finished fourth in 2009 – again battles the demanding course.
While Mike Golding and Alex Thomson make up the British trio.
Having set off from Les Sables d’Olonne the fleet will make it’s way down the Atlantic Ocean to the Cape of Good Hope – sail clockwise around Antarctica before making its way back to France.
The record for the gruelling solo race was set by Frenchman Michel Desjoyeaux in 2009, when he completed the course in 84 days and three hours.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 14:11 CET Astana team thrown out of anti-doping movement
- 13:25 CET IOC to set up two million dollar refugee fund
- 12:50 CET More support for Bale as best-ever Wales player
- 12:35 CET Wilson to have British funeral next week
- 12:17 CET Bayern boss says rejected ‘very high’ Mueller offer
- 12:13 CET Hamilton fastest as Mercedes dominate at Monza
- 11:25 CET Williams increase revenues and pay down debt
- 11:23 CET United’s ‘lack of experience’ wrecked De Gea deal – Perez