Sailing’s most demanding solo, non-stop circumnavigation race around the world got underway on Saturday.
Thousands of spectators gathered at the port of Les Sables d’Olonne in France to cheer on competitors of the Vendée Globe who partook in the traditional parade of sail down the town’s canal before heading off to sea.
One of the biggest send offs went to skipper of Banque Populare – Frenchman Armel Le Cleac’h who is the bookies favourite for this edition.
There are three Britons in the 20 boat fleet. Samantha Davies – who finished fourth in 2009 – again battles the demanding course.
While Mike Golding and Alex Thomson make up the British trio.
Having set off from Les Sables d’Olonne the fleet will make it’s way down the Atlantic Ocean to the Cape of Good Hope – sail clockwise around Antarctica before making its way back to France.
The record for the gruelling solo race was set by Frenchman Michel Desjoyeaux in 2009, when he completed the course in 84 days and three hours.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 10:40 CET Injury crisis threatens Real’s trophy aspirations
- 09:41 CET Hughes’ bat, jerseys head to Mount Everest
- 06:24 CET Newly elected Indonesia FA chief vows to fight back
- 06:19 CET Phelps, Lochte score wins at Mesa
- 02:13 CET Olympic course designer hopes golf wins in Rio Games
- 21:59 CET Burnley down but not out yet, says Dyche
- 21:29 CET Reading keeper’s error sees Arsenal reach FA Cup final
- 21:01 CET Marquez on pole in Argentina by hefty margin