Turkish officials say 17 soldiers have been killed in a helicopter crash in the southeast of the country.
The governor of Siirt province said the Sikorsky helicopter had come down in bad weather conditions on Herekol mountain.
13 of the victims were members of gendarmerie special forces. The other four who died were crew members.
The Turkish military is involved in a campaign against Kurdish militants in the southeast.
Latest world news
Cologne attacks: Algerian man acquitted of attempted sexual assault
Greece grinds to near halt in 48-hour general strike
‘I dream of a Europe where being a migrant is not a crime’ – Pope receives Charlemagne Prize
SNP claims third win in Scotland as Labour suffers in UK elections
UN official calls for inquiry into air strike on Syria refugee camp
Wires > News
- 16:39 CET Asssailant attempts to shoot Turkish journalist Dundar outside…
- 16:23 CET Turkish editor says journalism on trial as court set to rule
- 15:56 CET Netanyahu to host seminar on Jewish history for U.N. diplomats
- 15:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan rebuffs EU on terrorism law; “we’re going our…
- 15:21 CET Saudi wanted over August bombing of Asir province mosque killed in…
- 15:14 CET Greek PM urges Syriza lawmakers to approve pension reform bill
- 15:10 CET No gap in Turkey’s governance after premier bows out, Erdogan says
- 14:51 CET Security forces shut down Baghdad to prevent Green Zone protests