Turkish officials say 17 soldiers have been killed in a helicopter crash in the southeast of the country.
The governor of Siirt province said the Sikorsky helicopter had come down in bad weather conditions on Herekol mountain.
13 of the victims were members of gendarmerie special forces. The other four who died were crew members.
The Turkish military is involved in a campaign against Kurdish militants in the southeast.
- 1China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
- 2Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 3Pilot dies after Russian Army Games air display goes wrong
- 4Missing MH370: piece of twisted metal found on Reunion island
- 5Palestinians and Jews hold vigils for victims of extremism
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
Latest world news
Newly-opened Athens stock market plunges after five-week shutdown
MH370: Investigators to meet in Paris to coordinate work
Climate Change: Obama to unveil ‘biggest, most important step’ taken by the US
Nigeria: Army says it has freed 178 Boko Haram captives
Journalists in Mexico rally over press intimidation after photographer murder
Wires > News
- 12:30 CET Syrian jet crashes into market in rebel-held area, 27 killed
- 12:20 CET Russia critical of U.S. plan to give rebels air cover in Syria
- 11:54 CET Predecessor says Yemen leader Hadi should be tried for treason
- 11:51 CET Kerry seeks to convince Gulf Arabs on Iran deal
- 11:50 CET Taiwan school textbook row highlights antipathy to ‘one China’
- 11:11 CET Russia says kills six suspected militants in North Caucasus
- 11:06 CET China wants no talk of South China Sea at upcoming ASEAN meeting
- 10:40 CET China seeks hearts and minds with Tibetan resettlements