In the holiday resort of Les Sables d’Olonne on the west coast of France the crowds have gathered to see their heroes and heroines. It is the start of the Vendee Globe.
British yachtswoman Samantha Davies is one of 20 sailors from five different countries competing in the non-stop single-handed round-the-world yacht race. No woman has ever won the event though Ellen MacArthur won global acclaim coming second eleven years ago.
It has been called the, “Everest of the ocean” for which the training is rigorous and the conditions often treacherous.
Frenchman, Jean Pierre Dick who is skipper of Virbac Paprec3 explained some of the difficulties.
“The movement on board is constantly changing and very complicated, sometimes you are on your knees and so we work all our muscles to try and avoid any injury,” he said.
Nothing is left to chance with the sailors prepared for the changing elements like the hostile Southern Ocean where there is the added danger of icebergs followed by the mountainous seas as the yachts round Cape Horn.
“If you lose weight then you will lack the energy which is needed on board. There is always some risk but everything is designed to make sure I do not lose weight,” explained Luis Burton the skipper of Bureau Vallee.
The oceans have claimed the lives of competitors in the past and fewer than a hundred sailors have completed the tough and lonely event which was first started in 1989.
It is a test of human endurance while the sea will find the slightest weakness in any yacht.
Those who make it to the finishing line this year are expected back in France in about 90 days.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > Sport
- 01:46 CET Wallaby Beale feels ‘vindicated’ after text message scandal
- 00:04 CET Warnock claims keeper was ‘almost assaulted’ against West Brom
- 22:45 CET Murray ousts fighting Ferrer to boost London bid
- 22:16 CET Valencia celebrate imminent Lim takeover with victory
- 22:11 CET Wenger hails ‘super’ Sanchez after Chilean sinks Sunderland
- 21:14 CET Balotelli given Rodgers backing after another goalless afternoon
- 20:44 CET Coric loses out while Federer reaches another Basel final
- 20:36 CET CSKA Sofia coach knocked out by snowball in derby marred by crowd…