In the holiday resort of Les Sables d’Olonne on the west coast of France the crowds have gathered to see their heroes and heroines. It is the start of the Vendee Globe.
British yachtswoman Samantha Davies is one of 20 sailors from five different countries competing in the non-stop single-handed round-the-world yacht race. No woman has ever won the event though Ellen MacArthur won global acclaim coming second eleven years ago.
It has been called the, “Everest of the ocean” for which the training is rigorous and the conditions often treacherous.
Frenchman, Jean Pierre Dick who is skipper of Virbac Paprec3 explained some of the difficulties.
“The movement on board is constantly changing and very complicated, sometimes you are on your knees and so we work all our muscles to try and avoid any injury,” he said.
Nothing is left to chance with the sailors prepared for the changing elements like the hostile Southern Ocean where there is the added danger of icebergs followed by the mountainous seas as the yachts round Cape Horn.
“If you lose weight then you will lack the energy which is needed on board. There is always some risk but everything is designed to make sure I do not lose weight,” explained Luis Burton the skipper of Bureau Vallee.
The oceans have claimed the lives of competitors in the past and fewer than a hundred sailors have completed the tough and lonely event which was first started in 1989.
It is a test of human endurance while the sea will find the slightest weakness in any yacht.
Those who make it to the finishing line this year are expected back in France in about 90 days.
- 1Following in his father’s footsteps: Mick Schumacher shines in debut F4 race
- 2Steven Gerrard and Xavi Hernandez hit the 500-match milestone
- 3Astana team granted WorldTour licence for 2015
- 4Champions League semi-finals: Guardiola reunited with Barcelona
- 5Bobsleigh, Volleyball and Sochi triumph in the inaugural SportAccord awards
- 1Bobsleigh, Volleyball and Sochi triumph in the inaugural SportAccord awards
- 2Champions League semi-finals: Guardiola reunited with Barcelona
- 3IOC must choose between clean-up and cover-up: SportAccord chief
- 4Bayern and Barcelona through to Champions League semi-finals
- 5Champions League: Bayern face uphill task
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 23:29 CET Marquez has hand surgery after training accident
- 22:14 CET Watford seal topsy-turvy Premier League promotion
- 19:59 CET Rodgers hails ‘outstanding’ Liverpool after drab draw
- 19:39 CET Lavezzi hat-trick leads six-goal PSG to the top
- 18:51 CET Defeat ends Tranmere’s 94-year stint in Football League
- 18:44 CET Cameron scores own goal with pre-election football gaffe
- 18:39 CET Day leads after weather-hit second round in New Orleans
- 18:23 CET Tears but no winner for McCoy on emotional farewell