Spain’s prime minister has made a fresh plea to Catalonians to reject calls for independence.
Speaking at a Popular’s Party campaign ahead of the region’s snap elections later this month, Mariano Rajoy described a break-up of Spain as a “backward step” at a time when more European unity is required.
“I want a Catalonia in Spain, in Europe, and I want a Spain in Europe like I want Galicia. That is our place, co-existing with democracy, freedom and progress in Catalonia,” he said.
Polls suggest Catalonia’s liberal nationalist prime minister, Artur Mas, will be re-elected – but it remains unclear whether that will lead to Spain’s break-up.
He called for an early election after his claims for more fiscal autonomy were rejected by the central government last month
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:15 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…