An estimated five thousand veterans and servicemen marched through the streets of Lisbon, to show their anger at planned austerity measures.
Portugal is already feeling the strain and the budget for next year approved by the centre-right government will bring even more cuts and tax rises in an effort to save 5.3 billion euros.
“The 2013 budget proposes we make higher payments for medical care, although the service is worse. We pay more for less,” said Sergeant Jose Leitao.
Retired navy officer Armenio Teodoro added: “All the soldiers – not just me – have the right to receive our pension with dignity, because they discounted the money from our salaries. Now I ask, where’s our money? Where’s the money we paid for so many years?”
Portugal has already received a 78-billion-euro bailout.
Lisbon’s efforts to reduce the deficit have been praised by German Chancellor Angela Merkel – who is due to visit on Monday.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
Russia ‘involved’ in Litvinenko death says Scotland Yard
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Wires > News
- 03:35 CET Taiwan students storm education ministry compound in textbook…
- 03:25 CET Obama urges supporters to lobby for Iran deal
- 02:59 CET Plane debris found on Indian Ocean island points to MH370…
- 02:15 CET Mexico approves U.S. extradition warrant for fugitive kingpin…
- 00:24 CET Brazil’s Rousseff announces more education spending cuts
- 00:11 CET Checked bag fees are here to stay – United Airlines CEO
- 00:11 CET Greece’s Tsipras asserts control over party with congress vote
- 23:37 CET Canada’s election campaign seen starting Sunday