Maria Hoefl-Riesch showed no signs of a nagging hip injury on Saturday as the Olympic champion won a slalom event in Levi, Finland.
The 27-year-old German was second behind local favourite Tanja Poutiainen after the first run.
But she produced a stunning effort in the second to overtake the Finn and win the first women’s world cup slalom of the season and her 24th career world cup victory.
A victory had an even sweeter taste for the 2011 all-round champion as it was the venue of her very first slalom triumph eight years ago.
Poutiainen led by three tenths of a second after the first run to raise hopes of a home victory.
But it wasn’t to be as the former slalom world cup champion couldn’t keep up with Hoefl-Reisch’s pace in the second.
She eventually had to settle for second place 0.55 seconds behind her German rival.
Team USA’s rising star Mikaela Shiffrin claimed third place at the northernmost venue on the world cup circuit.
The 17-year-old was 0.74 seconds adrift for her second career podium finish.
Slovenia’s Tina Maze, who won the giant slalom in the season opener in Soelden, Austria, two weeks ago, was fourth to maintain her position at the top of the overall world cup standings ahead of Hoefl-Riesch in second and Poutiainen in third.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 11:55 CET Analysis – Premier League defences aren’t what they used to be
- 11:31 CET Williams assured of year-end Number one ranking after Sharapova…
- 11:29 CET World Cup seeds Switzerland slide out of FIFA top 10
- 11:12 CET Flintoff joins Brisbane in Big Bash League
- 11:05 CET Griezmann singled out for praise after debut home goal
- 10:21 CET Benzema quietly doing Champions League business for Real
- 10:20 CET Dortmund far from perfect despite flawless run says coach
- 02:41 CET Keane’s book ‘unnecessary’, says ex-United captain Robson