Maria Hoefl-Riesch showed no signs of a nagging hip injury on Saturday as the Olympic champion won a slalom event in Levi, Finland.
The 27-year-old German was second behind local favourite Tanja Poutiainen after the first run.
But she produced a stunning effort in the second to overtake the Finn and win the first women’s world cup slalom of the season and her 24th career world cup victory.
A victory had an even sweeter taste for the 2011 all-round champion as it was the venue of her very first slalom triumph eight years ago.
Poutiainen led by three tenths of a second after the first run to raise hopes of a home victory.
But it wasn’t to be as the former slalom world cup champion couldn’t keep up with Hoefl-Reisch’s pace in the second.
She eventually had to settle for second place 0.55 seconds behind her German rival.
Team USA’s rising star Mikaela Shiffrin claimed third place at the northernmost venue on the world cup circuit.
The 17-year-old was 0.74 seconds adrift for her second career podium finish.
Slovenia’s Tina Maze, who won the giant slalom in the season opener in Soelden, Austria, two weeks ago, was fourth to maintain her position at the top of the overall world cup standings ahead of Hoefl-Riesch in second and Poutiainen in third.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > Sport
- 23:09 CET Isner beats ailing Baghdatis to win Atlanta title again
- 22:40 CET Drucker sprints to RideLondon-Surrey classic win
- 21:55 CET China’s Qiu equals Louganis record
- 21:28 CET Gomez wins in Rio amid concern over roads
- 21:04 CET Arsenal get morale-boosting win over Chelsea
- 20:19 CET De Jong double lifts PSV to Dutch Super Cup glory
- 19:43 CET Athletics roiled by mass doping allegations after blood test leak
- 18:38 CET Italy’s Berlusconi agrees AC Milan stake sale by end Sept