Maria Hoefl-Riesch showed no signs of a nagging hip injury on Saturday as the Olympic champion won a slalom event in Levi, Finland.
The 27-year-old German was second behind local favourite Tanja Poutiainen after the first run.
But she produced a stunning effort in the second to overtake the Finn and win the first women’s world cup slalom of the season and her 24th career world cup victory.
A victory had an even sweeter taste for the 2011 all-round champion as it was the venue of her very first slalom triumph eight years ago.
Poutiainen led by three tenths of a second after the first run to raise hopes of a home victory.
But it wasn’t to be as the former slalom world cup champion couldn’t keep up with Hoefl-Reisch’s pace in the second.
She eventually had to settle for second place 0.55 seconds behind her German rival.
Team USA’s rising star Mikaela Shiffrin claimed third place at the northernmost venue on the world cup circuit.
The 17-year-old was 0.74 seconds adrift for her second career podium finish.
Slovenia’s Tina Maze, who won the giant slalom in the season opener in Soelden, Austria, two weeks ago, was fourth to maintain her position at the top of the overall world cup standings ahead of Hoefl-Riesch in second and Poutiainen in third.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 17:22 CET Torpedo Moscow’s ground partly closed over racist chants
- 16:50 CET Vergne says he’s leaving Toro Rosso
- 16:46 CET Williams have Mercedes in their sights
- 16:35 CET Spurs trying to make Pochettino connection, says Eriksen
- 16:23 CET Mignolet still a weak link for Liverpool, says Grobbelaar
- 16:21 CET Czech coach Vrba says fresh blood key to success
- 15:34 CET Argentine coach outwits Moron with shootout keeper switch
- 14:47 CET Wenger will turn Arsenal’s fortunes around, says Ramsey