Maria Hoefl-Riesch showed no signs of a nagging hip injury on Saturday as the Olympic champion won a slalom event in Levi, Finland.
The 27-year-old German was second behind local favourite Tanja Poutiainen after the first run.
But she produced a stunning effort in the second to overtake the Finn and win the first women’s world cup slalom of the season and her 24th career world cup victory.
A victory had an even sweeter taste for the 2011 all-round champion as it was the venue of her very first slalom triumph eight years ago.
Poutiainen led by three tenths of a second after the first run to raise hopes of a home victory.
But it wasn’t to be as the former slalom world cup champion couldn’t keep up with Hoefl-Reisch’s pace in the second.
She eventually had to settle for second place 0.55 seconds behind her German rival.
Team USA’s rising star Mikaela Shiffrin claimed third place at the northernmost venue on the world cup circuit.
The 17-year-old was 0.74 seconds adrift for her second career podium finish.
Slovenia’s Tina Maze, who won the giant slalom in the season opener in Soelden, Austria, two weeks ago, was fourth to maintain her position at the top of the overall world cup standings ahead of Hoefl-Riesch in second and Poutiainen in third.
- 1Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 2Horror crash mars Tour de France as Britain’s Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 3Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 4Solid gold Hamilton speeds silver arrow to victory at Silverstone.
- 5Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > Sport
- 02:13 CET Stallings banned three months for doping violation
- 02:09 CET Beware a motivated Park In-bee at U.S. Women’s Open
- 01:20 CET Andy Murray plays with pups in sniffer-dog video
- 01:17 CET Caddie booted from U.S. Women’s Open for photos
- 01:00 CET Los Angeles stages raucous rally for U.S. women’s football team
- 00:04 CET Gerrard says he is not in Los Angeles for a holiday
- 22:51 CET Radwanska’s grasscourt pedigree helps her reach semis
- 22:50 CET Atletico sign Argentine forward Vietto from Villarreal