The Director of America’s Central Intelligence Agency, David Petraeus, has resigned after admitting having an extramarital affair.
In a letter to the spy agency’s workforce he said “after being married for 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment…and that such behaviour is unacceptable.”
The woman with whom the former CIA boss had the affair is said to be his biographer Paula Broadwell.
The author wrote a book about him called “All In”.
Reports say the FBI uncovered evidence of the affair during a separate investigation into Broadwell. She was said to have tried improperly to access his email, possibly seeing classified information.
“One of the questions will be – was the affair something that compromised the intelligence community? Was the affair something that made it impossible for him to stay in that job?” asked Julie Pace, AP’s White House reporter.
“We hadn’t heard a lot about personality conflicts, but what we actually did hear a lot about with Petraeus is that he kept a low profile at the CIA. You didn’t actually hear much from him right after the Benghanzi attacks in particular, and there were some questions about whether that was actually the right approach, whether he needed to have more of a public persona.”
Officials insist the CIA’s handling of events in Benghazi, in which the US ambassador to Libya was killed, had nothing to do with the director’s decision to resign.
Petraeus had been due to testify before Congress intelligence committees.
He is credited with overseeing the troop surge in Iraq and also commanded US and NATO forces in Afghanistan.
President Obama has described him as one of the most outstanding generals of his generation.
Intelligence sources said that Michael Morell, the agency’s long-time deputy director, would serve as acting CIA chief for the immediate future.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 11Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20Marine Le Pen criticises France’s decision to halt Mistral warship sale to Russia | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:32 CET Kurds issue new call to arms against Islamic State in Syria
- 11:44 CET Families of German MH17 victims to sue Ukraine: lawyer
- 11:07 CET Wife of Alan Henning, Briton held by Islamic State, pleads for his…
- 08:42 CET New Zealand PM storms to third term but faces slowing growth ahead
- 07:36 CET Exclusive – Iran seeks give and take on militants, nuclear…
- 03:40 CET Iraqi Christians fly to new life in France after escaping Islamic…
- 03:30 CET Sierra Leone Ebola burial team attacked despite lockdown
- 02:44 CET U.S. to deliver 10 Apache helicopters to Egypt – Pentagon