10/11/12 16:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Iraq is reported to have cancelled a series of arms contracts with Russia worth over three billion euros.
The deal was only signed by both country’s prime ministers last month.
The Iraqi premier Nouri al-Maliki says he has suspicions over corruption within his own team.
However, the Defence Minister has denied the deal has been cancelled. The prime minister’s spokesman says new negotiations are underway.
Precise details are not known, but it is thought the sales would make Moscow Iraq’s second biggest arms supplier. They are said to include attack helicopters and ground-to-air missiles.
Iraq’s principal supplier is the US. Analysts have suggested the Americans would not look kindly upon Baghdad buying in bulk from Moscow. At least one expert has said the real reason for contracts being cancelled is not corruption, but pressure from Washington.
Russia has been looking to renew its ties with Iraq, which were broken after Saddam Hussein’s fall from power in 2003. Moscow’s main ally in the region is Syria.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 4Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
Mary Beard wins Princess of Asturias Award for Social Sciences
France: CGT union calls for further strikes
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko ‘has arrived in Kyiv’ in prisoner swap with Russia
Wires > News
- 16:36 CET Italy navy says migrant boat flipped, five dead
- 16:32 CET Insight – ‘Living in Germany’: a testing time for Merkel’s migrants
- 16:29 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 16:15 CET Japan PM protests against Okinawa incident at summit with Obama
- 16:01 CET Mugabe supporters rally in Zimbabwe amid tensions over succession
- 15:59 CET Trump, aiming to offset money disadvantage, escalates Clinton…
- 15:33 CET Israeli rights group accuses military of whitewashing soldiers‘…
- 15:15 CET Merkel says more time needed on EU-Turkey visa deal