Iraq is reported to have cancelled a series of arms contracts with Russia worth over three billion euros.
The deal was only signed by both country’s prime ministers last month.
The Iraqi premier Nouri al-Maliki says he has suspicions over corruption within his own team.
However, the Defence Minister has denied the deal has been cancelled. The prime minister’s spokesman says new negotiations are underway.
Precise details are not known, but it is thought the sales would make Moscow Iraq’s second biggest arms supplier. They are said to include attack helicopters and ground-to-air missiles.
Iraq’s principal supplier is the US. Analysts have suggested the Americans would not look kindly upon Baghdad buying in bulk from Moscow. At least one expert has said the real reason for contracts being cancelled is not corruption, but pressure from Washington.
Russia has been looking to renew its ties with Iraq, which were broken after Saddam Hussein’s fall from power in 2003. Moscow’s main ally in the region is Syria.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…
- 18:14 CET U.N. chief says arbitrary denial of aid a tactic of war in Syria
- 17:57 CET Insight – Purge of minorities re-draws Iraq map
- 16:43 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president