A second man has been convicted in connection with the unauthorised release of sensitive papal documents.
Computer expert Claudio Sciarpelletti has received a two month suspended sentence for obstruction of justice for changing his story to authorities during the scandal dubbed ‘Vatileaks’.
The Pope’s former butler Paolo Gabriele is serving 18 months behind bars for stealing the documents and leaking them to the press – but he may be pardoned by the Pontiff.
“The Pope has the power of grace. In accordance with his feelings he will make a decision that we, his fellow partners, will respect totally. So, let’s wait for that decision,” said Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone.
Police found in Gabriele’s apartment more than 1,000 secret documents, both photocopies and originals. They included letters alleging fraud.
The former butler claimed he wanted to help the Pope by exposing corruption within the Vatican.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 9Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:58 CET Israelis quietly expand enclave in Palestinian district of…
- 21:52 CET Putin offered to divide Ukraine with Poland: Polish ex-minister
- 21:19 CET Iran arrests suspects after acid attacks on women in Isfahan
- 21:09 CET Al Qaeda attacks kill at least 33 people in Yemen
- 21:07 CET U.N. questions Israel on Palestinians’ rights
- 21:05 CET Chile ex-mayor arrested for Pinochet-era human rights crimes
- 20:18 CET U.S. calls ban on entry by six Hungarians a warning to clean up
- 20:15 CET UKIP, 5-Star welcome Polish radical to save EU voting bloc