10/11/12 17:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A second man has been convicted in connection with the unauthorised release of sensitive papal documents.
Computer expert Claudio Sciarpelletti has received a two month suspended sentence for obstruction of justice for changing his story to authorities during the scandal dubbed ‘Vatileaks’.
The Pope’s former butler Paolo Gabriele is serving 18 months behind bars for stealing the documents and leaking them to the press – but he may be pardoned by the Pontiff.
“The Pope has the power of grace. In accordance with his feelings he will make a decision that we, his fellow partners, will respect totally. So, let’s wait for that decision,” said Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone.
Police found in Gabriele’s apartment more than 1,000 secret documents, both photocopies and originals. They included letters alleging fraud.
The former butler claimed he wanted to help the Pope by exposing corruption within the Vatican.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 3Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 01:26 CET Cuba scrambles to keep pace with U.S.-fueled tourism boom
- 01:25 CET Ageing Thailand takes toll on indebted households
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city