A second man has been convicted in connection with the unauthorised release of sensitive papal documents.
Computer expert Claudio Sciarpelletti has received a two month suspended sentence for obstruction of justice for changing his story to authorities during the scandal dubbed ‘Vatileaks’.
The Pope’s former butler Paolo Gabriele is serving 18 months behind bars for stealing the documents and leaking them to the press – but he may be pardoned by the Pontiff.
“The Pope has the power of grace. In accordance with his feelings he will make a decision that we, his fellow partners, will respect totally. So, let’s wait for that decision,” said Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone.
Police found in Gabriele’s apartment more than 1,000 secret documents, both photocopies and originals. They included letters alleging fraud.
The former butler claimed he wanted to help the Pope by exposing corruption within the Vatican.
- 1Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 2Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 3Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 4Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 5Airstrikes in Yemen: “Local people will pay a heavy price”
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:34 CET Saudi king says Yemen campaign to continue until achieves targets
- 10:45 CET Iranian negotiator denies discussion of 2-3 page nuclear deal -IRNA
- 10:31 CET Czech PM says two Czechs kidnapped in Pakistan released
- 10:07 CET Nigerians vote in first genuine contest since end of dictatorship
- 09:45 CET Philippines dismisses China concerns over South China Sea military…
- 09:15 CET At least 15 dead in Somalia hotel attack, militants say end siege
- 07:31 CET Japan is set to extend sanctions on North Korea – Nikkei
- 07:08 CET Crowds swell to bid farewell to Singapore’s founder Lee ahead of…