The Syrian National Council, the main opposition outside of Syria, has elected a leading Christian as its head.
George Sabra, a veteran activist who was arrested several times under the Assad regime, will lead the SNC for a 6 month term.
The SNC has appealed for weapons to fight forces loyal to President Assad. Executive member Louay Safi said:
“The Assad regime is using jet fighters to bomb cities and towns. So unfortunately the world seems to be silent. So we don’t know whether the world will move to give us the support.”
The excutive council of the SNC voted on two candidates in front of reporters and other council members.
The SNC, which has been meeting in Doha in Qatar, will start talks on Saturday with other Syrian factions to form a government in waiting that they hope will gain international recognition.
As the bloodshed continues in Syria, at least 11,000 refugees have fled in the past 24 hours.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 4David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 5UK vote for Brexit sees PM David Cameron jump before he’s pushed
Latest world news
Venezuela: opposition says it is on track to organise recall referendum
Spain’s politicians discuss Brexit in final day of general election campaigning
Changing exchange rate causes concern for some firms as UK votes for Brexit
EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
In the wake of Brexit, who is tipped for the UK’s top spot?
Wires > News
- 03:28 CET China media snidely criticise Brexit vote, but upbeat on UK ties
- 03:19 CET Three Mexican federal police gunned down in market
- 23:34 CET Could Brexit vote be a preview of U.S. presidential race?
- 22:21 CET Venezuela dialogue could open way for international help – …
- 22:04 CET Turkey warns of rising European xenophobia after Brexit vote
- 21:48 CET After Brexit, what? U.S. secessionists hankering for ‘Texit’
- 21:36 CET U.S. strikes Afghan Taliban targets, in debut of broader role
- 21:28 CET Hezbollah to send more fighters to Syria’s Aleppo