The Syrian National Council, the main opposition outside of Syria, has elected a leading Christian as its head.
George Sabra, a veteran activist who was arrested several times under the Assad regime, will lead the SNC for a 6 month term.
The SNC has appealed for weapons to fight forces loyal to President Assad. Executive member Louay Safi said:
“The Assad regime is using jet fighters to bomb cities and towns. So unfortunately the world seems to be silent. So we don’t know whether the world will move to give us the support.”
The excutive council of the SNC voted on two candidates in front of reporters and other council members.
The SNC, which has been meeting in Doha in Qatar, will start talks on Saturday with other Syrian factions to form a government in waiting that they hope will gain international recognition.
As the bloodshed continues in Syria, at least 11,000 refugees have fled in the past 24 hours.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Syria fighting rages despite fresh efforts to end the war
- 3Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 4Austria calls on FYRM to close borders to migrants
- 5Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Wires > News
- 05:40 CET North Korea to halt search for Japanese abductees – KCNA
- 04:13 CET Quake hits eastern Indonesia island, no casualties reported
- 03:45 CET Australian hospital refuses to release baby for detention on Nauru
- 02:24 CET After 1,000-year split, pope and Russian patriarch embrace in Cuba
- 01:02 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 00:02 CET ‘No Bashar al-Assad in the future’, says Saudi foreign minister -…
- 23:37 CET U.S. okays sale of 8 Lockheed F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan -…
- 21:53 CET Divisive politics return as India’s Modi eyes make-or-break state…