The Syrian National Council, the main opposition outside of Syria, has elected a leading Christian as its head.
George Sabra, a veteran activist who was arrested several times under the Assad regime, will lead the SNC for a 6 month term.
The SNC has appealed for weapons to fight forces loyal to President Assad. Executive member Louay Safi said:
“The Assad regime is using jet fighters to bomb cities and towns. So unfortunately the world seems to be silent. So we don’t know whether the world will move to give us the support.”
The excutive council of the SNC voted on two candidates in front of reporters and other council members.
The SNC, which has been meeting in Doha in Qatar, will start talks on Saturday with other Syrian factions to form a government in waiting that they hope will gain international recognition.
As the bloodshed continues in Syria, at least 11,000 refugees have fled in the past 24 hours.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 02:44 CET Guatemala Congress committee recommends ending Perez’s immunity
- 02:22 CET Pilot killed in Colorado crash of medical transport helicopter
- 01:41 CET France’s Hollande says ready to hold new summit on Boko Haram
- 00:35 CET Yemen’s Houthis attack Saudi Arabia’s Najran and Jizan
- 00:19 CET At least 25 Syrian al Qaeda members dead in mosque blast in…
- 00:15 CET Rockets land in Israel, Egypt’s IS affiliate claims responsibility
- 00:12 CET Car bombs explode in Libya’s Derma, at least six killed
- 23:26 CET Top choice blocked for U.N. digital privacy investigator post