The Syrian National Council, the main opposition outside of Syria, has elected a leading Christian as its head.
George Sabra, a veteran activist who was arrested several times under the Assad regime, will lead the SNC for a 6 month term.
The SNC has appealed for weapons to fight forces loyal to President Assad. Executive member Louay Safi said:
“The Assad regime is using jet fighters to bomb cities and towns. So unfortunately the world seems to be silent. So we don’t know whether the world will move to give us the support.”
The excutive council of the SNC voted on two candidates in front of reporters and other council members.
The SNC, which has been meeting in Doha in Qatar, will start talks on Saturday with other Syrian factions to form a government in waiting that they hope will gain international recognition.
As the bloodshed continues in Syria, at least 11,000 refugees have fled in the past 24 hours.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:22 CET On eve of poll, Ukraine leader seeks support for pro-Europe course
- 17:16 CET Canada’s Parliament Hill reopens following Wednesday shooting
- 16:46 CET Protesters march against Renzi labour reforms in Rome
- 16:37 CET Lebanon army fights gunmen in Tripoli, two soldiers killed
- 16:17 CET U.S., allies stage 22 air strikes in Iraq – U.S. Central Command
- 16:14 CET In rural Tunisia, economic malaise weighs on voters
- 15:52 CET Kurdish forces retake north Iraqi town from Islamic State
- 15:34 CET Al Qaeda militants push back Shi’ite rebels’ advance on central…