The Syrian National Council, the main opposition outside of Syria, has elected a leading Christian as its head.
George Sabra, a veteran activist who was arrested several times under the Assad regime, will lead the SNC for a 6 month term.
The SNC has appealed for weapons to fight forces loyal to President Assad. Executive member Louay Safi said:
“The Assad regime is using jet fighters to bomb cities and towns. So unfortunately the world seems to be silent. So we don’t know whether the world will move to give us the support.”
The excutive council of the SNC voted on two candidates in front of reporters and other council members.
The SNC, which has been meeting in Doha in Qatar, will start talks on Saturday with other Syrian factions to form a government in waiting that they hope will gain international recognition.
As the bloodshed continues in Syria, at least 11,000 refugees have fled in the past 24 hours.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Five more years for Bouteflika
- 4Ceausescu’s Bucharest pleasuredome up for sale
- 5Ukraine: Pro-Russian separatists offered amnesty if they disarm
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status