09/11/12 16:41 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The number of evictions in crisis-hit Spain is turning into a national scandal, as a second homeowner committed suicide on the day a foreclosure order was served.
53-year-old Amaya Egaña threw herself from her fourth floor appartment in the Basque town of Barakaldo.
Three hundred and fifty thousand people are said to have lost their homes over unpaid mortgages since the crisis began.
Senior judges in Spain have joined in the criticism of the legislation and there are calls for politicians to act.
“This kind of situation, like the one we had today here, shouldn’t happen. It would be good if those responsible for changing the law did so – and they’re not the judges,” said local judge Juan Carlos Mediavilla.
The European Court of Justice has also criticised Spain’s mortgage legislation and rules over evictions for being incompatible with European norms. Consumers, it says, are not sufficiently protected against abusive clauses in contracts.
Protest groups have sprung up and there have been demonstrations outside banks.
There have been calls for people facing eviction to pay a “social rent” rather than being kicked out of their homes.
The conservative government and the opposition socialists have agreed to take urgent measures to help the most vulnerable mortgage defaulters.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4All hostages are freed after a botched robbery in northern France
- 5France and US urge Russia to change tactics in fight against ISIL
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 4Who were the people behind the Paris bomb attacks?
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Tunisia: Deadly bus blast kills at least 12
All hostages are freed after a botched robbery in northern France
France and US urge Russia to change tactics in fight against ISIL
Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
Obama and Hollande call for greater cooperation against ISIL
Wires > News
- 04:30 CET Hurricane Sandra forms off Mexico’s Pacific coast, seen…
- 04:00 CET Chicago charges officer in black teen’s death, releases video of…
- 03:24 CET France, Belgium widen probe into Paris attacks, Hollande meets…
- 02:58 CET Obama, Hollande urge Russia to focus Syria attacks on Islamic State
- 02:04 CET Report says combination of errors led to U.S. bombing of …
- 01:49 CET No explosives found in U.S.-bound parcels at Cairo airport – DHL
- 00:33 CET Argentine president-elect picks U.N. insider as his top diplomat
- 00:24 CET Apparent suicide attack on Tunisian presidential guard bus kills 12