A special concert was performed recently on a fortepiano that Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart played almost every day for nearly a decade. Russian pianist Alexander Melnikov had the honour of playing the instrument in front of a small audience at Mozart’s former house in Vienna, where the piano has temporarily returned for the first time in 200 years.
It was made by Anton Walter – the leading instrument maker at the time – and purchased by Mozart after moving to Vienna in 1781.
During Mozart’s lifetime the instrument inspired him to write over 50 compositions. And it impressed the concert-goers of 18th century Vienna. After Mozart’s death, the piano stayed in his family and even travelled to Milan where his son lived.
Despite being restored twenty years ago, the piano requires the hand of a master to play it correctly.
The concert hall in the basement of the house offers excellent acoustics but only has room for about 150 people. In spite of that, fans from all over the world managed to get tickets for this special event.
The piano is normally housed at the Mozart Museum in Salzburg, where it is part of the permanent exhibition.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary