A special concert was performed recently on a fortepiano that Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart played almost every day for nearly a decade. Russian pianist Alexander Melnikov had the honour of playing the instrument in front of a small audience at Mozart’s former house in Vienna, where the piano has temporarily returned for the first time in 200 years.
It was made by Anton Walter – the leading instrument maker at the time – and purchased by Mozart after moving to Vienna in 1781.
During Mozart’s lifetime the instrument inspired him to write over 50 compositions. And it impressed the concert-goers of 18th century Vienna. After Mozart’s death, the piano stayed in his family and even travelled to Milan where his son lived.
Despite being restored twenty years ago, the piano requires the hand of a master to play it correctly.
The concert hall in the basement of the house offers excellent acoustics but only has room for about 150 people. In spite of that, fans from all over the world managed to get tickets for this special event.
The piano is normally housed at the Mozart Museum in Salzburg, where it is part of the permanent exhibition.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far