A special concert was performed recently on a fortepiano that Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart played almost every day for nearly a decade. Russian pianist Alexander Melnikov had the honour of playing the instrument in front of a small audience at Mozart’s former house in Vienna, where the piano has temporarily returned for the first time in 200 years.
It was made by Anton Walter – the leading instrument maker at the time – and purchased by Mozart after moving to Vienna in 1781.
During Mozart’s lifetime the instrument inspired him to write over 50 compositions. And it impressed the concert-goers of 18th century Vienna. After Mozart’s death, the piano stayed in his family and even travelled to Milan where his son lived.
Despite being restored twenty years ago, the piano requires the hand of a master to play it correctly.
The concert hall in the basement of the house offers excellent acoustics but only has room for about 150 people. In spite of that, fans from all over the world managed to get tickets for this special event.
The piano is normally housed at the Mozart Museum in Salzburg, where it is part of the permanent exhibition.
- 1Ukrainian talent sparkles in Fashion Days Kiev
- 2Postcards from Uzbekistan: The Ak-Saray Palace, Shakhrisabz
- 3Frontman Urie shines in new release from Panic! at the Disco
- 414-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 5Story of a reunited friendship, ‘Truman’ triumphs at Spain’s Goya Awards
- 114-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 2The epic race to the South Pole on the operatic stage
- 3Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
- 4Postcards from Uzbekistan: The Ak-Saray Palace, Shakhrisabz
- 5Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video