The Spanish airline Iberia is to cut four and a half thousand jobs – a quarter of its workforce. Its parent company, International Airlines Group, says the aim is to save the company which is “struggling for survival”.
A deadline has been fixed for the end of January to agree a restructuring plan with the unions – otherwise, warns the company, even more drastic cuts will be implemented.
Iberia’s director general says the company is not competing in any of its markets, and its problems pre-date the Spanish or European crises. It’s losing 1.7 million euros a day, he adds.
On Wednesday IAG released its latest monthly passenger figures, which showed that numbers had risen at British Airways compared to the same period last year – whereas Iberia had lost customers. Traffic was down by 3.7 per cent.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:58 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 19:48 CET Costa Rican ‘miracle’ woman was key to John Paul’s sainthood
- 19:23 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 19:12 CET At least six killed as poll violence hits restive Indian regions
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official