09/11/12 09:03 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Newly re-elected US President Barack Obama is to make a major speech on the economy today and a historic visit to Myanmar later this month.
But the talking point of the moment is an emotional visit he paid to thank his campaign team at his Chicago headquarters.
“What you guys have done means that the work I’m doing is important. And I’m really proud of that. I’m really proud of all of you,” he said, unable to complete his message as the tears got the better of him, to sustained applause from staff.
He told them his work in running for office had come “full circle”, and praised them for being much more efficient than he had been as a young community organiser.
Obama also became emotional in his final campaign rally in Iowa on Monday night.
The surprise announcement that he is to become the first American president to visit Myanmar follows opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi’s trip to Washington in September.
It is the strongest endorsement yet of the southeast Asian country’s fragile democratic reforms after decades of military rule.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Explosions at Istanbul Ataturk airport ‘kill at least 10, wound 20 people’ – officials
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Wires > News
- 22:16 CET Norway investigators blame Airbus helicopter crash on gearbox…
- 21:46 CET Former Nigerian ministers charged with laundering 4.9 bln naira
- 21:26 CET Russia, United States blame each other for maritime incident
- 21:10 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:36 CET Iraq’s top court invalidates Abadi’s partial cabinet reshuffle
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…