Newly re-elected US President Barack Obama is to make a major speech on the economy today and a historic visit to Myanmar later this month.
But the talking point of the moment is an emotional visit he paid to thank his campaign team at his Chicago headquarters.
“What you guys have done means that the work I’m doing is important. And I’m really proud of that. I’m really proud of all of you,” he said, unable to complete his message as the tears got the better of him, to sustained applause from staff.
He told them his work in running for office had come “full circle”, and praised them for being much more efficient than he had been as a young community organiser.
Obama also became emotional in his final campaign rally in Iowa on Monday night.
The surprise announcement that he is to become the first American president to visit Myanmar follows opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi’s trip to Washington in September.
It is the strongest endorsement yet of the southeast Asian country’s fragile democratic reforms after decades of military rule.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 12:54 CET Heavy rain kills at least 17 in southern Morocco
- 12:47 CET China seizes 31 trafficking suspects holding Myanmar women
- 12:45 CET U.S. seeks to step up India trade talks after WTO breakthrough
- 12:35 CET Italian Ebola patient due to be flown home – health ministry
- 12:22 CET Three more Ukrainian soldiers killed – Kiev military
- 12:11 CET Bomber targeted police commander in Afghan volleyball game attack
- 11:32 CET India names special envoy for China border talks
- 10:53 CET China says parties to Iran deal will ‘eventually reach’ agreement