08/11/12 03:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Greek government has voted by a wafer-thin margin to approve an austerity package need to unlock vital aid and avert national bankrupcy.
The 13.5 billion euros worth of belt-tightening measures are a precursor to the 2013 budget law, which the government is expected to push through on Sunday.
There were violent protests outside the parliament building in Athens. Protestors tried to break through barricades to get into the building. Riot police responded with tear gas and stun grenades. Water cannon were also deployed for the first time at a contemporary anti-austerity protest in Greece. There are no reports of serious injuries. 35 people were arrested.
The vote came on the second day of a two-day national strike, called by the country’s two biggest unions. Public transport ground to a halt and schools, banks and government offices were closed.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq