A Berlin -based company, Efficient City Farming (ECF), has developed the Container Farm, which they hope will be a step in the right direction towards a more sustainable concept of urban living. Tomato plants are capable of growing in the containers. They are surrounded by water in which tiny perch swim and absorb the nutrients excreted by the fish as waste. It is called an Aquaponic system, which is a close circulatory system where the fish and plants can grow in a symbiosis. That means that the fish produce the fertilizer for the plants and the plants clean the water for the fish.
Essentially all an urban farmer would need to add is fish food for the production; the rest is taken care of by Mother Nature. Aquaponic systems are not in themselves new; various varieties of them have been in development for almost two decades. But it is only recently that the system has become efficient enough and easy enough to operate, but is not really economically viable yet.
According to developers, the future of the system is linked to a rethink by consumers with the aim being that they choose fresh products from nearby gardens over goods coming from far away.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid