A Berlin -based company, Efficient City Farming (ECF), has developed the Container Farm, which they hope will be a step in the right direction towards a more sustainable concept of urban living. Tomato plants are capable of growing in the containers. They are surrounded by water in which tiny perch swim and absorb the nutrients excreted by the fish as waste. It is called an Aquaponic system, which is a close circulatory system where the fish and plants can grow in a symbiosis. That means that the fish produce the fertilizer for the plants and the plants clean the water for the fish.
Essentially all an urban farmer would need to add is fish food for the production; the rest is taken care of by Mother Nature. Aquaponic systems are not in themselves new; various varieties of them have been in development for almost two decades. But it is only recently that the system has become efficient enough and easy enough to operate, but is not really economically viable yet.
According to developers, the future of the system is linked to a rethink by consumers with the aim being that they choose fresh products from nearby gardens over goods coming from far away.
- 1Retreating ice reveals climate secrets on Qori Kalis glacier
- 2Italy’s army bringing down the cost of getting high on medical marijuana
- 3Robot tries to unlock Giza pyramid’s secrets
- 4Making theatre personal – glasses that translate the dialogue
- 5Supergrass: harvesting the energy potential of riverbank plants
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union