“The Central Park Five” is a documentary based on an assault and rape that took place in New York City’s Central Park on April 19, 1989. The victim was Trisha Meili. Five teenagers — four black and one Latino — were tried and convicted for the crime. After having spent between six and 13 years each in prison, a serial rapist confessed to being the real culprit.
Co-director Ken Burns, along with his daughter Sarah Burns and her husband David McMahon, unveiled their big-screen documentary “The Central Park Five,” as part of the American Film Institute Festival. Three of the “Five” wrongly convicted men were also there for the screening.
The film does not go into great detail about the pending federal lawsuit against New York City in which the five men and their families are seeking $50 million each in damages – a case that may involve the filmmakers, whose raw footage and outtakes have been subpoenaed.
“The Central Park Five”, which was presented at the Cannes Film Festival will hit movie
theatres in the United States at the end of November.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees