08/11/12 17:49 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Country-pop star Taylor Swift has had the honour of helping to kick start the festive season by switching on the Christmas lights at a shopping centre in London.
Thousands of fans packed into the Westfield shopping centre for a glimpse of their idol, who was in town to promote her new album “RED” which has notched up the highest first week U.S. sales figures in a decade.
“Red” sold 1.2 million copies in its first week of release, giving Swift her biggest debut numbers in an already stellar career.
The album is the 22-year-old singer’s third to top the charts, following 2008’s “Fearless” and 2010’s “Speak Now.” She is now also the only female singer to have seen two of her albums sell more than a million copies in the United States in just one week.
Swift, who wore a long red dress, turned on the Christmas lights with a group of children and performed three of her hits – “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”, “Love Story” and “RED” – to the delight of the crowd.
“Red” shot to the top of the iTunes charts just 36 minutes after being released in the U.S. on Oct. 22, and sold nearly 465,000 copies through Apple’s iTunes alone in its opening week.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
latest le mag news
Billy Gibbons goes solo and David Bowie has a new single
The Dark Years – an exhibition in Berlin of art during the years of the Second World War
Pentatonix riding a wave of success
‘Madame Bovary’ and the danger inherent in art
‘Under Japanese influence’ Sukita’s Bowie photos on show