08/11/12 17:49 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Country-pop star Taylor Swift has had the honour of helping to kick start the festive season by switching on the Christmas lights at a shopping centre in London.
Thousands of fans packed into the Westfield shopping centre for a glimpse of their idol, who was in town to promote her new album “RED” which has notched up the highest first week U.S. sales figures in a decade.
“Red” sold 1.2 million copies in its first week of release, giving Swift her biggest debut numbers in an already stellar career.
The album is the 22-year-old singer’s third to top the charts, following 2008’s “Fearless” and 2010’s “Speak Now.” She is now also the only female singer to have seen two of her albums sell more than a million copies in the United States in just one week.
Swift, who wore a long red dress, turned on the Christmas lights with a group of children and performed three of her hits – “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”, “Love Story” and “RED” – to the delight of the crowd.
“Red” shot to the top of the iTunes charts just 36 minutes after being released in the U.S. on Oct. 22, and sold nearly 465,000 copies through Apple’s iTunes alone in its opening week.
- 114-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 2The epic race to the South Pole on the operatic stage
- 3Postcards from Uzbekistan: The Ak-Saray Palace, Shakhrisabz
- 4Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
- 5Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
latest le mag news
Vogue celebrates its 100th birthday in style at London’s National Portrait Gallery
Leonardo Da Vinci – the imagination and inventions of a genius
New York Fashion Week sees bloggers step to the fore
Jimi Hendrix’s London flat opens to the public
Ukrainian talent sparkles in Fashion Days Kiev