Votes making Colorado and Washington the first US states to legalise marijuana for recreational use could be short-lived victories if the federal government decides to challenge them. In Colorado, Amendment 64 garnered nearly 53 percent of the vote, allowing its supporters to declare victory.
The US Department of Justice says its enforcement of controlled substances will remain unchanged, but even opponents of the measure say it is time for the government to look at decriminalising cannabis.
“I think at the very minimum, we should work aggressively to decriminalise it, make sure kids don’t get felony records. I mean the voters were pretty clear about what they want and how they feel. So, within the limits of federal law, or whatever federal government will permit, we have to figure out how we are going to go forward,” said Colorado Governor, John Hickenlooper, who voted against the amendment.
In Washington state, political leaders have also spoken out against the measure but pro-cannabis campaigners say the result of the vote must now be respected.
“Today the state of Washington looked at 75 years of a national marijuana prohibition and said, it’s time for a new approach,” said Alison Holcomb, campaign director for New Approach Washington.
The Obama administration is expected to file a federal lawsuit to challenge and block aspects of state-level legalisation measures but it’s unlikely to be strong enough to stop people possessing an ounce (28.5 grams) or less of the drug without risk of arrest by local police.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 04:51 CET Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- 03:32 CET U.S. general says he believes North Korea can build nuclear warhead
- 02:10 CET Virginia remains identified as those of missing college student
- 01:25 CET U.S. says Palestinian-American killed by Israeli forces
- 01:17 CET Mali’s first Ebola case, a two-year-old girl, dies – officials
- 01:12 CET Attacks in Egypt’s Sinai kill 33 security personnel
- 23:26 CET Drone strike kills three al Qaeda-linked militants – tribal sources
- 22:42 CET At least four dead in escape bid at model Dominican Republic jail