Votes making Colorado and Washington the first US states to legalise marijuana for recreational use could be short-lived victories if the federal government decides to challenge them. In Colorado, Amendment 64 garnered nearly 53 percent of the vote, allowing its supporters to declare victory.
The US Department of Justice says its enforcement of controlled substances will remain unchanged, but even opponents of the measure say it is time for the government to look at decriminalising cannabis.
“I think at the very minimum, we should work aggressively to decriminalise it, make sure kids don’t get felony records. I mean the voters were pretty clear about what they want and how they feel. So, within the limits of federal law, or whatever federal government will permit, we have to figure out how we are going to go forward,” said Colorado Governor, John Hickenlooper, who voted against the amendment.
In Washington state, political leaders have also spoken out against the measure but pro-cannabis campaigners say the result of the vote must now be respected.
“Today the state of Washington looked at 75 years of a national marijuana prohibition and said, it’s time for a new approach,” said Alison Holcomb, campaign director for New Approach Washington.
The Obama administration is expected to file a federal lawsuit to challenge and block aspects of state-level legalisation measures but it’s unlikely to be strong enough to stop people possessing an ounce (28.5 grams) or less of the drug without risk of arrest by local police.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 11Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 12Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 18#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 19Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 20Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:14 CET Car bomb kills 11 in Shi’ite Baghdad neighbourhood- police, medics
- 18:09 CET Israel’s Netanyahu tells Obama that Iran can’t be allowed to reach…
- 17:38 CET Austria says Eurofighter has part problem, some deliveries halted
- 17:20 CET EU-Russia gas duel deepens with Slovakia supply cut
- 17:16 CET Nazi hunters seek German probe of WW2 death squad suspects
- 17:11 CET Experts question two-day delay in admitting Texas Ebola patient
- 17:10 CET World Bank chief says Ebola outbreak shows harm of inequality
- 16:47 CET France defies EU partners with ‘no austerity’ budget