Votes making Colorado and Washington the first US states to legalise marijuana for recreational use could be short-lived victories if the federal government decides to challenge them. In Colorado, Amendment 64 garnered nearly 53 percent of the vote, allowing its supporters to declare victory.
The US Department of Justice says its enforcement of controlled substances will remain unchanged, but even opponents of the measure say it is time for the government to look at decriminalising cannabis.
“I think at the very minimum, we should work aggressively to decriminalise it, make sure kids don’t get felony records. I mean the voters were pretty clear about what they want and how they feel. So, within the limits of federal law, or whatever federal government will permit, we have to figure out how we are going to go forward,” said Colorado Governor, John Hickenlooper, who voted against the amendment.
In Washington state, political leaders have also spoken out against the measure but pro-cannabis campaigners say the result of the vote must now be respected.
“Today the state of Washington looked at 75 years of a national marijuana prohibition and said, it’s time for a new approach,” said Alison Holcomb, campaign director for New Approach Washington.
The Obama administration is expected to file a federal lawsuit to challenge and block aspects of state-level legalisation measures but it’s unlikely to be strong enough to stop people possessing an ounce (28.5 grams) or less of the drug without risk of arrest by local police.
- 1We will not be moved! Resistance to China’s urban spread [PHOTOS]
- 2British probe into child sex abuse reveals 1400 suspects
- 3Netanyahu supports call for a two-state solution with Palestinians
- 4ISIL controls more than half of Syria after seizing Palmyra
- 5EU refusal to accept migrant quotas ‘unacceptable’
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 8Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 15How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 16EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 20Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 01:33 CET U.N. investigates reports of executions, abuses in Mali
- 00:56 CET West, Africa trade barbs on U.N. appeal against illicit small arms
- 00:44 CET Dispute over Mideast nuclear arms ban set to torpedo U.N. meeting
- 00:32 CET Clinton emails show concern about image after Benghazi
- 22:49 CET Poland’s presidential candidates neck and neck before run-off
- 22:41 CET Wounded Egyptian soldier kidnapped and killed in Sinai – sources
- 22:34 CET Iran’s Yemen-bound aid ship docks in Djibouti, WFP to deliver aid…
- 21:57 CET Hundreds of youths protest in Nigeria’s Kano over alleged…