Shaktar Donetsk retained their top spot ingroup E of the Champions League despite losing 3-2 to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge while Italian giants Juventusthumped Nordsjaelland 4-0 thanks to goals from Marchisio, Vidal, Giovinco and Quagliarella.
In group F, Peru striker Claudio Pizarro scored a hat trick to earnBayern Munichan incredible6-1 win over French side Lille at the Allianz Arena and thisresult sees the Bavariansretain top spot thanks to a better goal difference over Valencia.
Elsewhere, Celtic celebrated their125th birthday with astunning 2-1 win over Barcelona in front of their home fans. The Scottish champions are now two points behind the Catalans in the table with Benfica lying in third place following their 2-0 win over Spartak Moscow.
In group H, Manchester United overturned a one goal deficit and weathered a temporary floodlight failure to down Braga 3-1 and make it through to the knockout phase.
Meanwhile, former Trabzonspor forward Burak Yilmaznetted three goalsto help Galatasaray to their first Champions League away victory in a decade with a 3-1win overCluj.
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2Federer withdraws from French Open
- 3European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 4Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
- 5European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
Wires > Sport
- 04:15 CET Kaka called up for Brazil’s Centenary Copa America squad
- 04:12 CET New Zealand plan first day-night test against England in 2018
- 23:17 CET Northern Ireland primed for Euro surprise – O’Neill
- 21:13 CET Indy 500 has a big place in F1 history
- 21:02 CET Nadal baffled by tennis no shows at Olympics
- 21:01 CET England’s Delph ruled out of Euro 2016 squad
- 20:27 CET Home fans inspire Masters champion Willett to opening 66
- 20:18 CET Romanian coaches and players banned for match-fixing