Two days after the US election, it is the turn of China to choose a new leader.
But the political process could not be more different.
More than 2000 hand-picked delegates have gathered at Beijing’s Great Hall of the People for the start of the week-long meeting in the one-party state.
The once-per-decade new team of leaders will be unveiled at the end of the event in a week’s time. During the congress, Hu Jintao will hand over his role as party chief to his anointed successor, Vice President Xi Jinping.
Opening the congress, Mr Hu described the Chinese state and the governing Communist Party as under threat from corruption and promised political reform.
China has experienced unprecedented economic growth in recent years but faces growing social unrest, public anger at corruption and a yawning gap between rich and poor.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:51 CET U.S. Army base in Texas on lockdown after suspicious vehicle found
- 01:17 CET Mexico summons Uruguay ambassador over president’s comments on…
- 01:05 CET Afghan women excluded from peace talks with Taliban – aid agency
- 00:01 CET Landmark Tunisian presidential election seen heading for run-off
- 23:20 CET Portugal ex-PM Socrates still in custody, more questioning on…
- 22:42 CET Multi-national crew blasts off for space station
- 22:32 CET France’s Hollande made left-wing voters feel betrayed – ex-partner
- 21:37 CET No easy ‘plan B’ for Iran if nuclear talks with major powers…