Two days after the US election, it is the turn of China to choose a new leader.
But the political process could not be more different.
More than 2000 hand-picked delegates have gathered at Beijing’s Great Hall of the People for the start of the week-long meeting in the one-party state.
The once-per-decade new team of leaders will be unveiled at the end of the event in a week’s time. During the congress, Hu Jintao will hand over his role as party chief to his anointed successor, Vice President Xi Jinping.
Opening the congress, Mr Hu described the Chinese state and the governing Communist Party as under threat from corruption and promised political reform.
China has experienced unprecedented economic growth in recent years but faces growing social unrest, public anger at corruption and a yawning gap between rich and poor.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Turkish CCTV images show British girls on their way to join ISIL
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 7Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 15Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 16Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 17‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:40 CET Trial to push for better flight tracking a year after MH370
- 05:33 CET Hopes for peaceful Russian transition fade with Nemtsov – Kasparov
- 05:31 CET Setting aside rancour over Hong Kong, China welcomes Prince William
- 05:25 CET Iraq launches offensive on Islamic State
- 05:21 CET Australia bars travel to Mosul ahead of planned offensive
- 05:01 CET North Korea ending Ebola travel restrictions – tour firms
- 04:35 CET North Korea, angered by drills, fires short-range missiles off…
- 03:17 CET The mysterious Mr. Ri returns, urbane survivor of North Korea purge