Two days after the US election, it is the turn of China to choose a new leader.
But the political process could not be more different.
More than 2000 hand-picked delegates have gathered at Beijing’s Great Hall of the People for the start of the week-long meeting in the one-party state.
The once-per-decade new team of leaders will be unveiled at the end of the event in a week’s time. During the congress, Hu Jintao will hand over his role as party chief to his anointed successor, Vice President Xi Jinping.
Opening the congress, Mr Hu described the Chinese state and the governing Communist Party as under threat from corruption and promised political reform.
China has experienced unprecedented economic growth in recent years but faces growing social unrest, public anger at corruption and a yawning gap between rich and poor.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:35 CET China and Peru agree to study transcontinental rail link
- 09:31 CET Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi’ite mosque, Islamic State…
- 07:28 CET Dispute over Mideast nuclear arms ban torpedoes U.N. conference
- 03:47 CET Clinton emails show concern about image after Benghazi
- 03:00 CET Activists damage habitat in Seattle bay during Shell oil protests
- 01:33 CET U.N. investigates reports of executions, abuses in Mali
- 00:56 CET West, Africa trade barbs on U.N. appeal against illicit small arms
- 22:49 CET Poland’s presidential candidates neck and neck before run-off