Two days after the US election, it is the turn of China to choose a new leader.
But the political process could not be more different.
More than 2000 hand-picked delegates have gathered at Beijing’s Great Hall of the People for the start of the week-long meeting in the one-party state.
The once-per-decade new team of leaders will be unveiled at the end of the event in a week’s time. During the congress, Hu Jintao will hand over his role as party chief to his anointed successor, Vice President Xi Jinping.
Opening the congress, Mr Hu described the Chinese state and the governing Communist Party as under threat from corruption and promised political reform.
China has experienced unprecedented economic growth in recent years but faces growing social unrest, public anger at corruption and a yawning gap between rich and poor.
- 1Greek Prime Minister Tsipras confirms referendum, calls for Greeks to reject creditors’ proposal
- 2Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 3Crowdfunded site for Greek debt nears €1,500,000 in contributions
- 4Greece’s eurozone future in balance as bailout expires
- 5Ukraine stops buying Russian gas over price row
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 18:00 CET Bangladesh, Kenya, Myanmar move up income ranks – World Bank
- 17:26 CET Special Report – Sex, scares, special effects spice up Pemex…
- 17:26 CET African leaders must respect constitutions or face turmoil -…
- 16:44 CET Islamic State looting Syrian, Iraqi sites on industrial scale…
- 16:43 CET Gulf states tighten security for frightened Shi’ites after mosque…
- 16:27 CET UK woman charged with being member of Islamic State, girl held
- 16:06 CET Serbia says three EU states to help it tackle tide of illegal…
- 15:50 CET Ex-Irish PM Cowen defends policies in banking inquiry blame game