There were tears and a gloomy atmosphere as Republican supporters left the convention centre in Boston on Tuesday night following Romney’s concession speech.
His 18-month campaign cost an estimated 660 million euros, in what became the most expensive US election in history.
Supporters had been convinced that the White House was within Romney’s grasp.
‘’(I’m) very depressed. I’ve been a friend of Mitt Romney’s for many years. So it was a very depressing evening. I thought we would win. All indications were that it would be close but I thought we would win,’‘ said John Price, a former US ambassador.
Another Romney supporter was equally dejected: ‘‘We honestly came here thinking he, Mitt Romney, was the exact correct person to take our country in a direction that would make it a lot stronger.’‘
A third supporter was hopeful that America could now move on: “I really hope that we as a country, especially the people in Washington, they rise above all the pettiness and politics and work together to solve the real issues and challenges we face as a country.’‘
Euronews’ correspondent Paul Hackett followed Romney’s campaign until the end:
‘‘After a hard fought and frequently bitter campaign, Mitt Romney’s presidential journey has come to an end. The question now is whether the Democrats victory will be decisive enough to break the bi-partisan gridlock in Washington,” he said.
Click here for our latest results map:
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:56 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker