US President Barack Obama has won a second four-year term in the White House.
Obama needed 270 electoral votes to regain the presidency. So far he’s won 303 to Romney’s 206.
But it’s still unclear whether the president has picked up the key battleground state of Florida. Although it won’t affect the result, Florida’s 29 electoral votes are still undecided. But if he wins, the state will take him to 332.
Obama won several other so-called swing states including Ohio, Virginia, and New Hampshire.
Despite months of campaigning by hundreds of candidates, the balance of power in the US Congress remains unchanged with the Republicans in control of the House of Representatives and the Democrats still ruling the Senate.
One of the most watched Senate contests was in Massachussetts between incumbent Republican Senator Scott Brown and Democrat and consumer advocate Elizabeth Warren, which Warren won.
One of the first challenges of Obama’s second term is the looming budget crisis.
Around 600 billion dollars worth of automatic tax increases and spending cuts will take effect at the end of 2012 to tackle America’s deficit.
Many economists think the measures need to be renegotiated before they plunge the country back into recession.
Click here for our latest results map:
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 14Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 15Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 19Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:39 CET Record number at Germany’s anti-immigrant rally
- 22:25 CET Man rams van into Christmas market in France, injures 10
- 22:19 CET U.N. council overrides China to add North Korea to agenda
- 22:16 CET UBS whistelblower Birkenfeld lodges request for return to Europe
- 21:45 CET Jordan puts Brotherhood politician on trial over UAE comments
- 20:14 CET EU foreign policy boss determined to work with new Tunisian leader
- 20:09 CET Japanese daily promises reform after ‘comfort women’ coverage…
- 20:05 CET Iraq says Jordan to begin training Iraqi troops soon