US President Barack Obama has won a second four-year term in the White House.
Obama needed 270 electoral votes to regain the presidency. So far he’s won 303 to Romney’s 206.
But it’s still unclear whether the president has picked up the key battleground state of Florida. Although it won’t affect the result, Florida’s 29 electoral votes are still undecided. But if he wins, the state will take him to 332.
Obama won several other so-called swing states including Ohio, Virginia, and New Hampshire.
Despite months of campaigning by hundreds of candidates, the balance of power in the US Congress remains unchanged with the Republicans in control of the House of Representatives and the Democrats still ruling the Senate.
One of the most watched Senate contests was in Massachussetts between incumbent Republican Senator Scott Brown and Democrat and consumer advocate Elizabeth Warren, which Warren won.
One of the first challenges of Obama’s second term is the looming budget crisis.
Around 600 billion dollars worth of automatic tax increases and spending cuts will take effect at the end of 2012 to tackle America’s deficit.
Many economists think the measures need to be renegotiated before they plunge the country back into recession.
Click here for our latest results map:
- 1Newly-released video alleges Turkey is sending weapons to Syria
- 2Nigeria: Buhari inaugurated in first democratic transfer of power
- 3Ukraine’s former resort city of Shyrokine is now a ghost town
- 4Blatter re-elected for fifth term as FIFA president
- 5Greece designs new two-euro coin amid fears of Grexit
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Iraq ‘exhumes 470 bodies’, thought to be victims of ISIL-led massacre
- 3Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 4‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 5Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 13EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 01:20 CET Multi-vehicle crash in Egypt kills 16, including conscripts -…
- 00:48 CET Video shows Canada Parliament gunman praying before attack
- 00:40 CET U.S. military orders broad review as anthrax mishap widens
- 00:14 CET Venezuela blocks Latam ex-presidents from seeing detained leaders
- 23:11 CET With no peace, Ukraine is beset by humanitarian risks – U.N.
- 22:51 CET U.S. considers airport preclearance centres in nine countries
- 21:57 CET At U.N., states urged to do more to stop flow of foreign fighters
- 21:40 CET Gunmen kill 19 bus passengers in Pakistan attack