US President Barack Obama has won a second four-year term in the White House.
Obama needed 270 electoral votes to regain the presidency. So far he’s won 303 to Romney’s 206.
But it’s still unclear whether the president has picked up the key battleground state of Florida. Although it won’t affect the result, Florida’s 29 electoral votes are still undecided. But if he wins, the state will take him to 332.
Obama won several other so-called swing states including Ohio, Virginia, and New Hampshire.
Despite months of campaigning by hundreds of candidates, the balance of power in the US Congress remains unchanged with the Republicans in control of the House of Representatives and the Democrats still ruling the Senate.
One of the most watched Senate contests was in Massachussetts between incumbent Republican Senator Scott Brown and Democrat and consumer advocate Elizabeth Warren, which Warren won.
One of the first challenges of Obama’s second term is the looming budget crisis.
Around 600 billion dollars worth of automatic tax increases and spending cuts will take effect at the end of 2012 to tackle America’s deficit.
Many economists think the measures need to be renegotiated before they plunge the country back into recession.
Click here for our latest results map:
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 23:39 CET Israel’s Netanyahu to Obama: Don’t allow Iran deal that leaves it…
- 23:28 CET U.S. Army drops murder charges against soldier in slaying of Iraqi…
- 23:20 CET Greenland appears headed for new election, opposition claims…
- 22:05 CET U.S. cautions Israel about settlement plans in East Jerusalem
- 21:52 CET Blasts rock Bulgarian explosives plant, casualties feared
- 21:50 CET Special Report – In ‘Umbrella Revolution,’ China confronts limits…
- 21:40 CET Kenyatta trial must probe witness tampering says activist
- 21:16 CET Up to 18 exposed to U.S. Ebola patient, including children