Election observers have reported sporadic problems around the country – like a machine in Pennysylvania filmed registering a vote for Romney despite the Obama button being pressed.
Turnout appears to be high in New York, including areas devastated by superstorm Sandy last week.
Long queues have been forming at voting stations.
“For some reason these scanners are breaking down.” said one voter on her way out. “It was hard getting in touch with people at the main office I guess, because of Hurricane Sandy.”
In New Jersey, many have gone the extra mile to vote – literally. Thousands of voters displaced by last week’s storm have rung hotlines to find temporary polling stations.
Electoral Protection Officer Catherine Weiss said “There seems to be really significant confusion in some counties about where voters belong and where they can vote. And that has been true even though there is in place a directive from the state division of elections in New Jersey that allows voters to vote wherever they are in New Jersey.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 20:07 CET Brazilian tycoon Batista investigated for financial crimes -reports