Multimillionaire Mormon Mitt Romney conceded defeat to Obama his pride intact. The Republican had taken Obama to the wire.
In a convention centre in Boston, Mass., he concluded he ran for office because he was concerned for America.
He took this last chance to be watched so globally to get this off his chest, saying the principles the nation was founded on are ‘the only sure guide to a resurgent economy and to renewed greatness’.
Romney said: “I have just called President Obama to congratulate him on his victory, his supporters and his campaign also deserve congratulations. I wish all of them well, but particularly the President, the First Lady, and their daughters. This is the time of great challenges for America and I pray that the President will be successful in guiding our nation.”
Romney running mate Paul Ryan was not enough to make the electorate ignore charges the challenger had flip-flopped on policies.
A Fox News survey days before the election showed that Obama was seen as a “steadier” hand in the presidency.
Finally, with no turnarounds left, within the Republican Party, conservatives and moderates prepared for post-mortems on what had gone wrong.
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 4Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 5Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
Latest world news
Gunmen storm cafe in Bangledeshi capital Dhaka
Colosseum makeover gets the thumbs up from Italian PM Renzi
Israeli-Palestinian conflict ‘perpetual’ unless positive steps taken – Quartet
EU extends sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
Brexit sparks a political drama in the UK likened to the House of Cards
Wires > News
- 20:21 CET Gunmen attack restaurant in Dhaka’s diplomatic quarter
- 20:20 CET Putin hints Russia will react if Finland joins NATO
- 20:18 CET U.S. says kills up to 116 civilians in strikes outside war zones
- 20:07 CET U.N. rights investigator urges Myanmar to crack down on religious…
- 19:10 CET Italy’s biggest Chinese community clashes with police near Florence
- 19:08 CET Two suspects in Istanbul attack identified as Russian – Turkish…
- 18:56 CET Romanians offer symbolic EU membership to ‘Remain-ian’ Brits
- 18:27 CET Witnessing migrants being rescued at sea