Multimillionaire Mormon Mitt Romney conceded defeat to Obama his pride intact. The Republican had taken Obama to the wire.
In a convention centre in Boston, Mass., he concluded he ran for office because he was concerned for America.
He took this last chance to be watched so globally to get this off his chest, saying the principles the nation was founded on are ‘the only sure guide to a resurgent economy and to renewed greatness’.
Romney said: “I have just called President Obama to congratulate him on his victory, his supporters and his campaign also deserve congratulations. I wish all of them well, but particularly the President, the First Lady, and their daughters. This is the time of great challenges for America and I pray that the President will be successful in guiding our nation.”
Romney running mate Paul Ryan was not enough to make the electorate ignore charges the challenger had flip-flopped on policies.
A Fox News survey days before the election showed that Obama was seen as a “steadier” hand in the presidency.
Finally, with no turnarounds left, within the Republican Party, conservatives and moderates prepared for post-mortems on what had gone wrong.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian artillery fire thwarts rebel plan to surround government troops in Debaltseve
- 244 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 3Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 4Gunman interrupts Dutch broadcast to demand airtime before being arrested
- 5‘Positive signs’ Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 1French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 2Council of Europe suspends Russian voting rights over Ukraine
- 3What’s the link between WW1 and Hungary’s 675,000 new citizens?
- 4Memories of rebel control in Kramatorsk
- 5Prisoner exchange in eastern Ukraine, as witnessed by euronews
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:42 CET EU-wide toll could end road spat with Germany – transport chief
- 19:26 CET Greece says will not cooperate with ‘troika’ or seek aid extension
- 19:15 CET Russia wants U.N. Security Council help on conflict zone flight…
- 18:52 CET Republican Romney opts out of a 2016 run for president
- 18:42 CET Nigeria’s Buhari vows to end graft, insecurity, inequality
- 18:38 CET Next round of Syria talks in Moscow in a month – delegate
- 18:26 CET Australia wants clear UN rules on extended searches after MH370
- 18:15 CET Canada unveils law to give police, spies more anti-terror powers