Multimillionaire Mormon Mitt Romney conceded defeat to Obama his pride intact. The Republican had taken Obama to the wire.
In a convention centre in Boston, Mass., he concluded he ran for office because he was concerned for America.
He took this last chance to be watched so globally to get this off his chest, saying the principles the nation was founded on are ‘the only sure guide to a resurgent economy and to renewed greatness’.
Romney said: “I have just called President Obama to congratulate him on his victory, his supporters and his campaign also deserve congratulations. I wish all of them well, but particularly the President, the First Lady, and their daughters. This is the time of great challenges for America and I pray that the President will be successful in guiding our nation.”
Romney running mate Paul Ryan was not enough to make the electorate ignore charges the challenger had flip-flopped on policies.
A Fox News survey days before the election showed that Obama was seen as a “steadier” hand in the presidency.
Finally, with no turnarounds left, within the Republican Party, conservatives and moderates prepared for post-mortems on what had gone wrong.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Moscow criticised for flattening kiosks
Spanish speleologists rescued from French abyss
IMF warns Ukraine to tackle corruption or bailout stops
Italian paramilitary police arrest 109 suspected Mafia members
France: MPs back constitutional changes to strip passports from those convicted of terrorism
Wires > News
- 20:32 CET Republican Christie assesses future of White House bid
- 20:24 CET Damascus expects tough but short battle for Aleppo
- 20:12 CET Argentine football team Huracan’s bus overturns in Venezuela…
- 20:05 CET Poland to join fight vs Islamic State in return for NATO help in…
- 19:56 CET Female suicide bombers kill over 60 people in northeast Nigeria -…
- 19:08 CET World’s top scientists pledge to share all findings to fight Zika
- 18:16 CET German train crash investigators focus on signal controller -…
- 18:14 CET Iraqi PM’s bid to reshuffle cabinet could cost him his job