Multimillionaire Mormon Mitt Romney conceded defeat to Obama his pride intact. The Republican had taken Obama to the wire.
In a convention centre in Boston, Mass., he concluded he ran for office because he was concerned for America.
He took this last chance to be watched so globally to get this off his chest, saying the principles the nation was founded on are ‘the only sure guide to a resurgent economy and to renewed greatness’.
Romney said: “I have just called President Obama to congratulate him on his victory, his supporters and his campaign also deserve congratulations. I wish all of them well, but particularly the President, the First Lady, and their daughters. This is the time of great challenges for America and I pray that the President will be successful in guiding our nation.”
Romney running mate Paul Ryan was not enough to make the electorate ignore charges the challenger had flip-flopped on policies.
A Fox News survey days before the election showed that Obama was seen as a “steadier” hand in the presidency.
Finally, with no turnarounds left, within the Republican Party, conservatives and moderates prepared for post-mortems on what had gone wrong.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges